Advice on to return iphone or not.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Next Tuesday, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I bought a 16 black iphone3g on july 11th. The phones pretty good besides 2 things, the ringer/vibrate switch and the left side of the phone. My ringer/vibrate switch acts weird. When u push it down, it clicks, but when u push it up, it doesnt click. U have to push it up and its kind of hard. It doesnt just freely click into position up and down. Also the left side of my phone where the back case meets the chrome rim on the side its sticking out a little. Its not smooth like the rest of the phone. I took it to the apple store here and showed an apple genius. The guy took it in the back and came back 10 mins later and sais its within specs. The was about 22-25 iphones on display there and none has the same vibrate/ring switch problem that i have. Also none of the other ones are rough on any side. Now what i want to know is if i should try an att store and get it exchanged, go to another apple store, or just deal with it and hope it doesnt break or mess up more. The apple guy said i have 30 days of warranty.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

No, you have a year of warranty. You have 30 days to return it and cancel your contract.

You can always try with AT&T but I don't think you'll likely have any luck with them if you couldn't get it past Apple, who don't have to deal as much with the "lack of stock" issue.

3. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I guess ill try att and see what they say, Maybe im over reacting and its a non returnable issue.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Its natural to freak about small things when you first get it. Just take a deep breath and remember that you have a full years warranty. If any of the issues turn out to affect the phone in a big way you will get a new one.

I have the dust under the screen problem, but its not in the middle of the screen and isn't visible when the display is on, so I am going to just hang tight and if it gets worse I will return it. I would recommend you do the same.

5. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

In the UK the customer has 14 days to return the handset and cancel the contract for ANY reason. Obviously the phone needs to be in the same condition and return the packaging etc.

So you have 30 days instead of 14???
    Even better.
    I'm currently testing out my iPhone and plan to return it next week since I don't want to get suckered into an 18 month contract

6. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Thanks abiyng. Guess ill just wait and see if it gets worse. I was just freaking out because one of my friends had the same issue and his ringer/vibrate button broke off and apple was giving him a hard time returning it saying it was user error. Im tryin to avoid all that drama.

7. dustinl4m3 macrumors regular

One of the black 16GB iPhone 3Gs I purchased on Friday had this exact issue. I took it back to the Apple store saturday morning, and it was replaced on the spot with a brand new, sealed 16GB iPhone 3G.

The new vibrate switch works like butter.

Get it replaced.

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

In that case my behind would be parked in the Apple store until they gave me a replacement. :D

9. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Well the "mac genius" said it was within specs which is crazy. I think ill go back tomorrow and talk to someone else. I mean, i could see if all their display phones were like mine but not 1 of the 25 they had on display there werent.

10. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Has anyone taken their iphone3g back for this issue? If so, did u recieve a new one? What was your outcome? Where did u take it back too? att store or apple store?

11. dustinl4m3 macrumors regular

:)

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

It is not an issue for AT&T. Please read your warranty. Apple provides a 1-year warranty.

Here is a helpful FAQ from Apple: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/ :apple:

13. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday