Advice on trading my PC for used Macbook Pro??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by noellek09, May 12, 2009.

1. noellek09 macrumors newbie

Heelp!
    I've listed my fujitsu laptop on sale for $500 in need of a macbook,
    and someone has offered to trade with $150 additional cash on my part.

My fujitsu was bought a year and a half ago, at $900 with a 3-yr warranty that cost around $140, and it's:
    1GB RAM, 150GB hard drive, 15.4" screen, and 1.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

The buyer offers me:
    a 2.5 year-old macbook pro, dual core, 15" screen, Tiger-operated, 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 200GB with newest softwares.

I'm not a computer genius, and really need your help!!
    Is it a deal here ?
    If so, I'm willing to upgrade it to a Leopard system.
    Thanks in advance :eek:

**someone's offered $550 for it- would it be wiser to sell it & buy a newer macbook with the $700? ($550+$150)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd say that's a pretty even deal. My Macbook Pro is 3 years old and it's running Leopard just fine. Plus the computer you'd be getting is way better than your Fujitsu.

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Is that MacBook Pro a Core 2 Duo? I remember there being a Core Duo MBP. Some say Core Duo isn't 64 bit and not going to run OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

If it is Core 2 Duo, even though it's older, it should work really well and be a nice Mac.

I would upgrade to Leopard if I were you. You can buy the Mac Box Set for $120 on eBay, and it includes OS X Leopard, iLife 09, and iWork 09. Would work great with that MBP and make it feel like new.

Good luck.

4. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I mean, if you can get a new computer, I would do that. I personally don't like buying computers used. There's a certain sense of satisfaction that comes with owning new stuff. The specs of the new MacBook might be better than that used MBP anyway. The form factor is just smaller.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Type in the specs of the macbook pro you're wanting on www.mac2sell.net to to estimate it's value.

A used computer store in my city is selling the core duo MBP's for $975 plus tax, but it also comes with a six month in store warranty and 10.5 to boot.

If you can, find a mac totin' friend to get you a copy of techtool deluxe disk that comes with applecare or burn you an apple hardware test for that machine to make sure it's working right. If the seller had applecare on it, ask him to bring his techtool pro deluxe disk as well. Or, see if you can meet at the apple store nearest you and have a genius run a diagnostic on it instead.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Sounds like it's a Rev A model MBP from early 2006. I think it could be Rev B instead, but can't confirm based on the info you've provided.

I threw the specs into mac2sell, and found this unit about $800USD. Mac2sell is known to lowball a little.

Hence, even with the cash top-up on your trade, this is bordering on a "too good to be true" scenario. I'd really want more details on that computer before purchasing. Ideally this means the serial number to check the repair history from Apple.

Also, what do you mean when you say the computer comes with the "newest softwares". Is this just an updated version of Leopard, or is a bunch of other software also included?

7. noellek09 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure, though I've emailed the questions...
    I think I'll go along with selling it for $700, as someone else has offered to have it shipped out internationally- and buy myself a refurb or a good used one!
    Thanks soo much for your advises!! ;)

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Are you crazy? Shipped out internationally = lost due to scam.

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Agree 100%. You're better off with the trade in your original post then submitting yourself to an international "sale" that will rob you with nothing to show for it.

10. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Craigslist is for local transactions ONLY! Never, never, NEVER buy or sell an item unless the other party is there in person!

If you ship it, especially internationally, you may as well go to the nearest large city and give your computer to the first Nigerian you see.

DO. NOT. DO. IT.

12. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I bet they're from Manchester, UK.

Seriously, OP. Why would someone from out of this country be looking on your specific CL for a MBP?

Local. Transactions. Only.