Advice on Upgrade on old style MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chris3125, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Chris3125 macrumors member

Ok so my dad was given a MBP off a a while ago and it seems to be dying on its arse, its relativly old 48 months, 1.83 dual core with only 512mb ram :/ the battery is also only at 26% its original capacity so basically its unusable without a power source.

My question is whether its worth upgrading to try and get some more use out of it, it runs terribly slow and if i put even 1gb or possibly 2gb sticks in it and get a new battery is it worth it? are we likely to see a boost in performance by upgrading the ram?

thanks in advance

Chris

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, you'll notice the increase. As for whether or not it's "worth it"- that depends on your budget and how much you're willing to spend. Since you also don't mention what you use it for it's even harder to answer.

3. Chris3125 thread starter macrumors member

sorry I can honestly say I think my dad literally thinks the internet consist of eBay and auto trader so certainly nothing needing of a lot of power, just enough of a boost to make browsing and maybe itunes etc usable, worth the 2gb upgrade? or would just the 1gb be adequate?

Thanks

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

My girlfriend has the 2.0 dual core 15". Put 2GB in it and reinstall the OS, it should be great. No problems with my girlfriends laptop, except the heat.

5. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Upgrading RAM is the easiest and cheapest way to see a performance increase

6. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

go with 2gb. The price difference is minimal if you get it on sale from someplace. It makes all the difference.

7. farmermac macrumors 6502a

8. Chris3125 thread starter macrumors member

9. A.W.E.S.O.M.-0 macrumors member

Ram, Battery, 7200 hd (very cheap) and a clean install of snow leopard should do the trick. That MBP can easily last you another 3 years when used for internetting.

10. nrd macrumors member

If you're not opposed to pulling it apart, replacing the hard drive is relatively straightforward. My original 15" MBP has been running wonderfully with a 500GB hard drive since a week after AppleCare expired.