Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rodedwards

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Hi everyone !

I'm after a bit of advice ...

I currently own an early 2009 Mac Pro Desktop 2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 32Gb Ram and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB.

I'm a photographer / videographer and i'm thinking maybe i need to upgrade my computer soon.

Will i notice much of a performance improvement if i upgrade to either a new 27" 3.4ghz iMac with 32Gb Ram and a 1Tb Fusion Drive

Or

A new Mac Pro with 3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor, 32Gb Ram and 1Tb PCIe- Flash Storage ?

Obviously newer Macs will be a bit faster ... but how much so - especially if i consider an internal 1Tb SSD for my existing Dual Quad Core Mac Pro ?

Are we talking about doubling the speed of Photoshop etc or just a slight improvement in performance ?

Advice would be appreciated ... thanks !

:)

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Your computer itself can be upgraded greatly. For example, I recently upgraded my 2010 Mac Pro to two 3.2GHz W5580 quad core Xeons. I found the CPUs for $100 each on Ebay and then sold my old CPUs for $75 each.

You can also replace your startup drive with an SSD that will greatly improve overall perception of snappiness.

If you use any software that is CUDA aware, such as DaVinci Resolve or After Effects, changing your Nvidia GT120 to a newer Nvidia graphics card will greatly improve your performance.

With these simple upgrades, your Mac Pro can outperform anything in Apple's current lineup except for the upcoming Mac Pro.

*Side note: You will get much more feedback regarding this if you posted in the Mac Pro sub forum.

rodedwards

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Thanks enormously helpful Pastrychef ! Thanks !

I'll repost in Mac Pro Forum too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.