Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blunderboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
I'm looking for a used Mac laptop for around $700 or less--I'm a student on an extremely limited budget, so I can't pick up a brand-new MacBook Pro or anything like that. I just bought the PC I'm typing on last month to replace my dead iBook, but I'm going to sell it, because I really don't want to deal with Windows. Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to get something like a late-model PowerBook G4 or one of the first- or second-generation MacBooks? The applications I foresee using are word-processing stuff and some of the Adobe programs.

blunderboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Thanks! I hope it (or another model at the same price) still be there in the next 2 weeks (which is when I'm going to buy the machine).

(Edit: eek, looks like it's out of stock. :/)

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
I'm looking for a used Mac laptop for around $700 or less--I'm a student on an extremely limited budget, so I can't pick up a brand-new MacBook Pro or anything like that. I just bought the PC I'm typing on last month to replace my dead iBook, but I'm going to sell it, because I really don't want to deal with Windows. Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to get something like a late-model PowerBook G4 or one of the first- or second-generation MacBooks? The applications I foresee using are word-processing stuff and some of the Adobe programs.

have you tried looking on the educational store? they have much better prices than the main store and often the refurb store also (I get 14% off)

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
I've noticed that the refurb prices on the education site are the same as the regular refurb store, at least in the US.

here in the UK my discount gives me 14% off and free applecare for 3 years (phone support for the first 90 days, but you can extend the phone support to 3 years for £50).

Sometimes the refurb store may have items with over 14% off, but its usually around 9% reduction. Either way, when you include the student apple care discount, it is much better than anything else

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.