Advice on used Mac laptops on a shoestring budget?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blunderboy, Feb 13, 2010.

1. blunderboy macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a used Mac laptop for around $700 or less--I'm a student on an extremely limited budget, so I can't pick up a brand-new MacBook Pro or anything like that. I just bought the PC I'm typing on last month to replace my dead iBook, but I'm going to sell it, because I really don't want to deal with Windows. Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to get something like a late-model PowerBook G4 or one of the first- or second-generation MacBooks? The applications I foresee using are word-processing stuff and some of the Adobe programs.

2. blunderboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I hope it (or another model at the same price) still be there in the next 2 weeks (which is when I'm going to buy the machine).

(Edit: eek, looks like it's out of stock. :/)

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Use www.refurb.me to notify you when its in stock. I recently sold my 3yr old MacBook for $600 on eBay so this is outstanding value!

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Just check daily, it will be in stock in the future.

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

have you tried looking on the educational store? they have much better prices than the main store and often the refurb store also (I get 14% off)

6. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I've noticed that the refurb prices on the education site are the same as the regular refurb store, at least in the US.

7. creon macrumors 6502

Great site! Thanks for posting!

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

9. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

here in the UK my discount gives me 14% off and free applecare for 3 years (phone support for the first 90 days, but you can extend the phone support to 3 years for £50).

Sometimes the refurb store may have items with over 14% off, but its usually around 9% reduction. Either way, when you include the student apple care discount, it is much better than anything else