Advice on using 2nd monitor (Dell 2412M) | Which connection?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RedlegsFan, Nov 25, 2016.

1. RedlegsFan macrumors 6502

I am pulling the trigger on a 2015 5K iMac this week on B&H Photo. I have a Dell monitor (2412M) that is currently hooked up to my PC via a DVI cable. I want to use this monitor with my new iMac. The 2412M has a display port connection. Should I:

1. Just keep my DVI cable and purchase the proper adapter to use with the iMac?

2. Purchase a Display Port cable and then also purchase the proper adapter to use with the iMac?

Any advice is appreciated. Also, if anyone can assist with linking to the correct adapter/cable, just so I know that I am buying what will work, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help you can provide!!

2. RedlegsFan thread starter macrumors 6502

3. infinity69, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016

infinity69 macrumors newbie

1. You can do that. Many cheap Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapters are available on the market.
    2. I prefer this option. A miniDP to DP cable is the same price or even cheaper than a DVI adapter and it supports up to 4k*2k resolution (DVI adapter doesn't). This is a good solution if you want to upgrade your monitor in the future.

4. RedlegsFan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the information. I will probably just go with the MiniDP to DP cable and keep it simple. Glad to know that will work just fine. Whew :)