Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I'd like to get 25 iPad Pros to use in a classroom where students will check them out and use Adobe Mobile apps, Sketchbook Pro, etc. We have a site license for Adobe CC so it is a single account that will be used on all the Adobe apps so the students will not have individual accounts. I'm trying to determine how students can checkout an iPad for a class, create some digital art, and somehow synch it/copy it back to a Mac. I think email is an option, though there are file size limit potential issues, AirDrop might be a possibility, though it doesn't always work. I thought about creating a single Dropbox or OneDrive account that students can upload their work, and they access it on a Mac and copy their files to a USB to be able to work on it later.

I'm just not sure how this will work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
25 iPad Pros? Are you teaching at a public school? My department only has 20 iPad 2's. No, not the Air 2. iPad 2. I would love to have access to the funds to upgrade them.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question. :D

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I'd like to get 25 iPad Pros to use in a classroom where students will check them out and use Adobe Mobile apps, Sketchbook Pro, etc. We have a site license for Adobe CC so it is a single account that will be used on all the Adobe apps so the students will not have individual accounts. I'm trying to determine how students can checkout an iPad for a class, create some digital art, and somehow synch it/copy it back to a Mac. I think email is an option, though there are file size limit potential issues, AirDrop might be a possibility, though it doesn't always work. I thought about creating a single Dropbox or OneDrive account that students can upload their work, and they access it on a Mac and copy their files to a USB to be able to work on it later.

Thanks.

I personally always use AirDrop, but if that's being problematic for you, here are some options:

The DropBox idea could work, and basically all similar cloud solutions.
iMessage could work - file size should be no problem. I've sent upwards of 20GB with iMessage. Don't know if there even is a limit.
Can always transfer through a Lightning to USB connection. The Adobe apps do support file share through iTunes if I remember correctly.
There are certain storage options that can connect directly to iOS devices and come with an app that transfers data to the drive, that you can then plug directly into the USB port of a Mac. iXPand by SanDisk is one such device.
There are probably more options I haven't thought of yet

Reactions: stanw

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
25 iPad Pros? Are you teaching at a public school? My department only has 20 iPad 2's. No, not the Air 2. iPad 2. I would love to have access to the funds to upgrade them.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question. :D
It is for a college that teaches design and multimedia.
[doublepost=1490300893][/doublepost]
I personally always use AirDrop, but if that's being problematic for you, here are some options:

The DropBox idea could work, and basically all similar cloud solutions.
iMessage could work - file size should be no problem. I've sent upwards of 20GB with iMessage. Don't know if there even is a limit.
Can always transfer through a Lightning to USB connection. The Adobe apps do support file share through iTunes if I remember correctly.
There are certain storage options that can connect directly to iOS devices and come with an app that transfers data to the drive, that you can then plug directly into the USB port of a Mac. iXPand by SanDisk is one such device.
There are probably more options I haven't thought of yet

The thing with the Dropbox account or Onedrive, and iMessages, etc. is that the iPads will have to be singed into some master account that students will Share their work to when they are done with the iPads. They will then need to access those files from a computer that is logged into that Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. account where they can retrieve their files and copy them to a flash drive, etc. Unless there is some other way of working with these types of cloud accounts?

How do you transfer these types of files with a Lightning to a USB connection? Do you mean through the apps section in iTunes?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL

Thanks.
Easiest is AirDrop
Better is WebDav
Best would be OwnCloud

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
The thing with the Dropbox account or Onedrive, and iMessages, etc. is that the iPads will have to be singed into some master account that students will Share their work to when they are done with the iPads. They will then need to access those files from a computer that is logged into that Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. account where they can retrieve their files and copy them to a flash drive, etc. Unless there is some other way of working with these types of cloud accounts?

I've only really used Google Drive, but I assume the same goes for the rest of the bunch – You can create a shared folder from one "master account" that is then shared with all the students, such that anything placed in the shared folder gets sync'd to all who subscribed to the shared folder, and at least with Google Drive, I believe it only eats up storage space on the "master account" so all don't need to be paying. With iMessage you could feasibly create an AppleID that's public of sorts that all then log into and can send files to that then get sent to everyone. Though it may be annoying being pinged with other people's work.

How do you transfer these types of files with a Lightning to a USB connection? Do you mean through the apps section in iTunes?

Yes. If you plug into the computer with the Lightning to USB cable, and you go to apps in iTunes, you can scroll down to file sharing. Pick the app on the left, find the file on the right, and simply drag it on to the desktop (or anywhere else). I haven't tested with the Adobe apps, but works flawlessly with FiLMiC Pro. I mostly transfer with Air Drop, but if you have a lot of video clips to transfer it works well. + you don't need to sync - you can just drag and drop

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Do the apps all work with Creative Cloud? If you are open to the idea of a common Dropbox folder, maybe saving them to CC is an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.