Advice on water damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michaeltlause, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Michaeltlause macrumors newbie

So I spilled water on my MacBook pro about a year ago. I did the recommended steps to recover it, and everything works perfectly except that it requires charge from the wall to function (i.e. it shuts down if the power block disconnects). I have used it for the past year and had no additional problems, but have recently realized that I would love to have the portability back. I had the computer diagnosed at micro tech, and they told me there is $1500 worth of water/corrosion damage (battery, ram, memory, mother board, hard drive) and that I should buy a new computer. My logic tells me that a new battery might remedy this situation, but the tech guy said I was crazy for even considering this. The components, less the battery, have worked flawlessly for over a year so I don't know why I would invest to fix them all now when it seems that the problem lies with the battery. I was hoping someone could give me some advice as to how to go about this situation. Specifically, is it realistic to swap out the battery to gain back the portable function without risking the functioning of all the other parts that seem to be in working order as of now? Thanks for any help!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. Michaeltlause thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont know exactly what you mean by that, but I called the tech guy and he gave me the following info: the mother board is corroded near the transformer, the battery is swollen and non-functional, the ram, memory, and hard drive all have stains and corrosion

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Yeah, I wouldn't bother replacing the battery unless you can borrow someone else's to verify it would work.

5. tenshu2k macrumors member

Try coconut battery. Does your macbook recognize the battery at all? You could pick up a cheap generic replacement.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

He means open the application and post a screenshot of what it says. To be honest, I'm with you on this one, and I think a new battery could just work.

7. Michaeltlause thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks for the advice so far! Can anyone direct me to where I could find a cheap generic battery? They want to sell me one for $130 with a $40 install. fee

8. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Did you try opening up the back cover to confirm their findings? All internals are very well exposed on the unibody models once you lift off that cover. If the corrosion is as bad as they say, your laptop's days are probably numbered, otherwise, get yourself a new battery and make a mental note never to go to that shop again.

9. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

If you do decide to replace the battery, I'd get one from Apple, not a generic one. There's been a lot of problems with some of the generic ones, from not holding a charge to bulging.