Advice on what Apple Laptop to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacBoy, Oct 10, 2011.

1. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

Hi,

So i just want a Apple Laptop to use for moving around only for basically internet browsing and small application downloads, so no powerful Macbook Pros for this because i don't need to spend much for what i need it for.

I am looking for second hand Macbook Whites, Powerbooks etc when i get it i will upgrade full ram it can take and biggest hd it will accept. Then i will also add the latest OS it will take. So anyone have any ideas what is right for me?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not a powerbook. Just pick up a used MacBook (Core 2 Duo) and go from there. I wouldn't bother with Lion if you can't upgrade past 4GB of RAM, seeing as how Lion is still a giant memory hog. If you're just going to use it for web browsing, there is no reason to upgrade to Lion anyhow.

3. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

How much could i get one of them for and any ideas where to get (UK) aswel as ebay?

4. Lya macrumors member

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MacBook Air, new or refurb.

Or maybe iPad or refurb iPad.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

How much do you want to spend

7. TSE macrumors 68030

Depends on how much you want to spend. If you want new, a baseline MacBook Air or iPad would suit your needs perfectly.

8. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing too high possibly under £400? Just for this.

9. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Try to find a white MacBook that's the unibody (2009/2010 models). Modern enough hardware to last a while, plus rock-solid construction. Or if you're really lucky, the rare Aluminum MacBook (not pro). A 2009 unibody MacBook could be found for your price range if you look hard enough (eBay and such).

But at a minimum, Intel Core 2 Duo (not Core Duo) at a minimum. You won't be able to run anything modern w/ out a Core 2 Duo (e.g. Lion).

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Any MacBook with a Core 2 Duo would be fine. You can upgrade to Lion if you wish, but there is no reason to do so for your needs. I'll second the recommendation of the (rare) Aluminum MacBook. I've got one and had an early white Macbook (my daughter has that now). The Aluminum's appearance holds up much better. The white plastic shows dirt and gets cracks. The Aluminum and Unibody models have an advantage if you want to bulk them up in the future -- they will take up to 8GB of RAM.

11. lc25 macrumors 6502

White macbook the old polycarb ones would be perfect, like others said anything above a core2duo would be perfect for you

12. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

i managed to pick up a MacBook Poly core2duo which was practically brand new off ebay for £275, just search for one, DONT GO COREDUO, make sure its a core 2 duo :D