Advice on what to do with these two MBPs.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marcquito, Mar 13, 2013.

  1. Marcquito macrumors member


    Jul 6, 2008
    Hey everyone,

    Looking for a bit of help and advice on what to do with my two Macbook Pros.

    First off, my main computer is a September 2008 Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz, 2gb/ram, 200gb hdd with OS X Mountain Lion. This machine I have babied since day 1 and has not a single dent or cosmetic issue you would find on one of this age. Needless to say, I have not upgraded this computer to 4 or 6gb/ram or the harddrive. After about 5 years, it's time for me to upgrade to an SSD and upgrade the ram to keep the computer usable. It still works great, just getting pretty laggy. The other issue is the battery is completely dead. So dead in fact, that it started to swell, so I removed it and it spends most of it's time shackled to a desk plugged into the wall - so not much of a laptop as it is a desktop now.

    My second MBP was my mother's. It's a late 2010 Macbook Pro 13", 2.3ghz, 4gb/ram, 320gb hdd, also currently running OS X Mountain Lion. This one is also cosmetically near perfect except for some scratching on the bottom. How I acquired this computer is about 8 months ago we had a family get-together at my parents' place and a liquid spill occurred really wounding this MBP. She immediately turned it off and put it away never to use it again as she considered it completely ruined. Well I decided to take it off her hands to see if I could fix it and after lots of surgery and cleaning, I have figured out what happened to it during the spill. The logic board and display cable have a small bit of corrosion which disables the use of the MBP display all together. Everything else about this MBP works. The ports, the backlit keyboard, the trackpad, the iSight camera, the battery indicator... everything, just as it did, minus the screen. What I did to use this computer is disconnect the display cable from the logic board and plug in a thunderbolt to HDMI cable to use on my bigscreen television. After reformatting the hdd and updating with mountain lion, this computer is much quicker and more fun to use than my older MBP... even with a dead screen.

    So here is what I am wondering - I have been wanting to update my 2008 and replace the battery for some time... and now I have this working, dead-screen-MBP that I'm not sure if I want to keep or not. I could sell the newer MBP to fund my updating the 2008, or I could sell the 2008 as-is and convert this 2010 to a permanent desktop, or I could sell both and put the cash towards a MBA or a newer MBP 13". Or... I could sell the 2008 and replace with iPad with of course using the 13" as a desktop.

    I'm also not sure the market value for my computers as they are. This also makes a huge difference. If these aren't going for much, especially in the shape they are in, it would probably be best to just keep them and forget the whole thing. But I'm open to all thoughts and bits of advice you all have to offer. My ears (and eyes) are all open.

    I appreciate you all in advance. :cool:
  2. AceMason macrumors 6502

    Aug 27, 2009
    I'm pretty sure you can sell the second one for parts at least. I've seen a couple on ebay selling for $500-600
  3. Marcquito thread starter macrumors member


    Jul 6, 2008
    I thought about that, but since it works flawless on an external display, it seems too good to consider it for parts. Wouldn't it make more sense to use it as a dedicated desktop?
  4. AceMason macrumors 6502

    Aug 27, 2009
    If it were me, I think I would sell the first one and keep the second one as a desktop or sell both and get a newer computer.
  5. wallysb01 macrumors 65816

    Jun 30, 2011
    Looks like you could maybe get $300-400 for a fully functional 2008 MBP, and a battery costs ~$50. So, lets just round down and say you can get $250 for it. That very nearly buy's you an iPad mini. So.... keep the 2010 MBP as a desktop and sell the 2008, throw in an extra $100 and get an iPad mini.

    That's probably what I'd do anyway.
  6. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a


    Aug 2, 2007
    I'd sell both and get a 2011 model. You should be able to get enough for the two of them to cover a 2011 uMBP-13 and maybe even a base 2011 uMBP-15. You'll get an i5 or i7, SATA-3, Thunderbolt, and the ability to upgrade to 16GB. All of which are well worth the trouble.


Share This Page