Advice on when to buy an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pyronutter, Sep 11, 2010.

1. pyronutter macrumors newbie

First off sorry this is a repeat of countless other similar threads, I could just do with your opinion that is all!
    I want an iPad I know that, and I'm finally able to get one, but what with these new rumors of a much earlier than expected refresh I'm slightly worried, not for facetime, I don't see myself every using that, I have an iPhone 4, but what would bug me is if it got a higher resolution display, I know there's no way it would be a Retina display the cost would be huge but how likely do you think it is that there will be a slight increase in resolution, personally I don't think there's much chance what with all the apps that would be slightly put off and developers not bothering to update for a few more pixels, what do you think?
    Anyway that's my dilemma your opinions would be great, thanks, and again sorry!

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

If the current one meets your needs, get one now. Plain and simple.

3. jamied95 macrumors 6502

If you want one, get one.

If you can wait, wait.

Your probably 3 months away still - only you can make that decision.

4. caubeck macrumors 6502

Are you asking whether forum members can confirm there'll be a new version before Xmas and what's in it?

5. pyronutter thread starter macrumors newbie

I do want one, and it does suit my needs but I would be annoyed if a better screen showed up on the next one in a few months.
    and Caubek I'm not asking for confirmation from forum members, I would merely like their opinion on whether they think the next iPad will have a better screen is all, I know nobody can confirm anything

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Firstly, periods are your friends.

Secondly, I doubt the next revision will contain a resolution bump. Spec bump (especially more ram) and a camera are more likely. Maybe even an SD slot.

I say if you have no need for a webcam, buy now.

7. caubeck macrumors 6502

Firstly, there's no evidence there'll be a refresh before next April. Secondly, nobody knows what screen they'll have by then. I know you're just asking for opinions but you'll end up more confused if you start getting any. There have been no reliable iPad 2 leaks.

8. pyronutter thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I was just being silly and wanted other people to have the same opinion as me, a confidence boost I guess, anyway thanks everyone for the advice, and sorry to of added another should I buy or should I wait thread to the forum.

9. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Thirdly, please shut up. People who think they are better than others, to the point where they correct someone's FORUM typing. A person they know nothing about, and have no right to correct, seriously set me off.

Back on topic. I personally am going to wait, and really want one. It will be worth it. It always is. People say get it now if you want it. I think that is not always the most intelligent option. The world will tell you "now now now now" credit cards, loans, etc. But a smart resourceful person will weigh his options and see what will give him the most value. I suggest you do that. Will you receive a better value from using the device longer? Or will using a better device for possibly a shorter amount of time be a better value?

10. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Actually I find it sad that a grown adult needs the approval of others to spend his or her own money.

11. pyronutter thread starter macrumors newbie

So your telling me you never have doubts? Besides I said I was being stupid. Also who says I'm a grown adult?

And elmateo487, you do make a very good and sensible point, but if I wouldn't use the extra features why not start enjoying it now? :)

12. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

You actually mean: "you're" not your but I am being pedantic. Anyway, I have doubts but I usually can get rid of them by doing research or calling the source, etc... Also, I try (and sometimes fail) not to appear stupid in public. As for being grown or not, only you know this for sure. At the end of the day, you and only you can make decisions that will affect your (correctly used) life.

13. pyronutter thread starter macrumors newbie

I made a tiny little grammar error, I must go tell my parents what a bad job they did raising me, why did you feel the need to point that out?? And I have done lots of research, I just thought I'd get some advice from some friendly people and for the most part I did, but some people felt the need to not be so friendly, I truly don't understand why people need to add pointless comments, do you have nothing better to do?

14. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I don't think your parents are bad. How could I. Don't know them. If you had used the search feature here, you would have seen PAGES (literally) of questions and answers regarding the same topic that you repeated. This was part of my point with the second being that only you can know what you need. No one can do that for you, and I bet your parents taught you that.

15. rkahl macrumors 65816

^AGREE

16. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

If you want an ipad now then buy one. If apple were to refresh the iPad before Christmas pretty much everyone who already bought one would be pissed off so it isn't likely. The only thing they MIGHT do is make different sized ipads based on leaks of screens but even that is unlikely.

17. pyronutter thread starter macrumors newbie

I made it quite clear in my first post that all I wanted was people's OPINIONS on whether the next iPad will have a higher resolution display, I had not seen another thread asking that, lots about what feature you want, but none about the likelihood of said feature actually happening, if I missed a thread I'm sorry as I have said at least twice! But never fear, you won't be seeing another question from me in this forum, it's not worth the hassle of people who just like to be plain rude, commenting on everything, without adding anything useful at all.

18. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Hmm I didn't see anyone looking for approval...just advice.

19. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Tell you what, do this. Do a quick search regarding your question and see how many threads pop up. If you get any less than four or five, I have no problems saying my bad and apologizing to you. If I am correct, how about take the two pieces of advice I've given you and then try them for the next time?

20. pyronutter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much, it's nice to see there are some friendly people around! :)

21. pyronutter thread starter macrumors newbie

As I said, I tried searching and there are many threads on Retina displays for iPad but I didn't ask that, because I am aware of how impossible that would be, the screen itself would cost a fortune and the iPad simply wouldn't have the power to run such a screen, there were no threads that I could find about a simple resolution increase.

22. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I don't see anything wrong with buying this one and later selling it to buy the new one. Wou really don't lose.

23. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I doubt about retina display. It would be too expensive.

All I see apple will add is a front facing camera and faster processor.

If you are expecting more, then prepare to be sad...

I doubt new iPad will come before next year around april-May. Ipad is still not out on other counties.

24. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Personally I am waiting. I don't need one now, and I am waiting for a new one to come out (I want to see the new features). I know how annoying it is to buy a product just to find a new one coming out soon after.

I bought my MacBook Pro in late June 2008 from Amazon.com and received it in early July, so when the new models came out in October 14 2008, with way better specs, and 2 GPU's which weren't from the group that were going to fail (like my 8600M GT), I got annoyed.

Anyway, I think you should wait,

AnonMac50