Advice on when to buy MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoelHodder, May 22, 2011.

  1. JoelHodder macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Oxford
    #1
    Hi,

    I'm starting university at the end of September and will be getting a nice grant from the government so I have decided that I am going to buy a MBP with it; my trusty ol' Mac mini isn't really ideal for uni :(

    I think I will get the 15" with the 6750m GPU and probably the 8gigs of RAM so about £1800 total with the student discount.

    Seeing that the next major update (new shape etc) won't be until early 2012, I may aswell buy this MBP now rather than the same model in september.

    The thing I want to know though, is how much will this MBP be worth on ebay for example in early 2012? (a week or two before when we think the update will be?).

    If it only loses a couple of hundred quid and sells for £1600 in early 2012 then buying now will be worthwhile and I still have £1600 to buy the updated model, but if it'll only be worth £1000 ish then I have to find nearly another grand to buy the 2012 model...

    Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts you lot have.
     
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #2
  3. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #3
    It will still be worth quite a bit, but the upgrade likely won't be worth what it will cost.
     
  4. awer25 macrumors 65816

    awer25

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2011
    #4
    No one knows the answer as to when the new one will be released, nor how much it will drop the price of the 2011 models. If you don't mind waiting a while with the Mac Mini, then wait. If you'll make use of the MBP in the time being, then get a MBP.

    I know I'm just saying what you may already know, but the question has too many unknown variables.
     
  5. JoelHodder thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Oxford
    #5
    Thanks. Was just hoping someone might've sold a MBP before to try get a "very" rough idea of how much the devalue. Thing is, if I wait till the update, chances are that I'll be halfway through the course already, so will buy in september anyway but then why not buy now!

    Thanks for your time (Y)
     
  6. punchwalk macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2010
    Location:
    Maryland, USA
    #6
    My observation based on looking at eBay completed listings for MBPs for the last 12 months is that 2011 units are selling for considerably less than retail in most cases. The 2010s seemed to stay close to retail throughout their entire retail lifecycle. I think you'll likely get 70% of your purchase price back on eBay. I guess it's up to you as to whether you're willing to go into your own pocket for the other 30% if you want whatever the 2012 ends up offering.
     
  7. awer25 macrumors 65816

    awer25

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2011
    #7
    IMHO, what the 2010's are selling for isn't indicative of what the 2011's will be selling for once the 2012 comes out. The 2010's are still selling for a good premium because the newest model isn't really much different (it's really just a power upgrade). If the 2012 model really has some kind of liquid metal case which is even thinner and lighter, and there's other battery or power upgrades, then the 2012 MBP will be in big demand, even for those with a 2011 model. This will make the 2011 models worth even less.
     
  8. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

    dagamer34

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #8
    I got my high end 2011 15" for only $1815 new. Dunno how it was so cheap, but meh?
     
  9. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

    jvmxtra

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2010
  10. JoelHodder thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Oxford
    #10
    Ahhhh I hate that this makes perfect sense!

    If I could get a 70% return then I think I would surrender a lil' bit of the beer fund the government has given me for the 2012 model!

    It wouldn't be anything on the Pro's performance for the money. I think the Pro's are by far sleek enough as it is, so don't really have any need for the air.

    Off the back of a lorry maybe?!
     

Share This Page