Advice on when to buy MPB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GTE6495, Jan 19, 2009.

  1. GTE6495 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2009
    #1
    Hi, I'm thinking about buying a 15" MacBook pro (as soon as my parents let me) and I don't want to buy it and then a new and improved one be released right after. I should hopefully have it by the end of June, and I was wondering if I should wait or just buy it as soon as I can? Does apple plan any updates for the MBP, or completely new notebooks for that matter?
     
  2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #2
    The ones out now are almost brand new, they only came out a few months ago, and the whole product range wont get updated for another 14 months at least, however in May the new Apple operating system, Snow Leopard, is due to be released, so you may want to wait until may to buy your MBP so that comes preinstalled.
     
  3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

    SteveMobs

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Washington D.C.
    #3
    Buy it as soon as you can. Sitting around and waiting to buy something you really want, in the event that maybe a better one comes out, is a stupid waste of time. Unless of course you are positive on a release date for something, such as snow leopard. If you feel like waiting then do that. But waiting because someday something better comes out, that's a waste.

    I can tell you 100% sure that someday they're going to renew the MBP. Maybe you should wait, that indefinite amount of time.

    Anyways, buy now.
     
  4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
  5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #5
    So you think Apple is going to take 16 months between MBP updates (14 from now plus two months since MBPs were released)? Seriously, the Mac Mini is the only thing more than six months old (like way old, indeed). Most of the time MB and MBP get updates every five to six months - prior models: Early 2006, Late 2006, Mid 2007, Early 2008, Late 2008. New components like CPUs and sometimes better graphics or more RAM on graphics and bigger HDs... I just have never seen Apple go 16 months or even half that with their MB/MBP line of products.

    Just wondering what you mean by 14 months, at least???

    Also, some recent rumors were that Snow Leopard was going to be released in the first quarter (Jan to March). Has that changed? I was hopeful for a March 1 release myself. I am hopeful for an iLife 09, iWork 09, and Snow Leopard box set. Just like Apple announced with iLife 09 and iWork 09 box set with Leopard for $169/$229 family (announced at MacWorld 09). Others here have set they doubt Apple will do that with Snow Leopard, but I am hopeful.

    If I personally wanted a MBP, I wouldn't wait for just the operating system, but I would wait if maybe I thought the components would be upgraded... but that is probably four months out since only announced two months ago, for the 15.4" anyways (but you never know - I expect surprises from Apple this year).
     
  6. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #6
    I think people confuse update with revision. An update is when they bump processors or add features. They also use it as an excuse to fix hardware issues. To me, a revision is when they change the design. That is done far less often; with the last one done in October.

    My guess is the the next update will be sometime within the next 3 months. They will bump the processors (it's the final release in the Core2 duo line) in anticipation of Nehalem coming out this year. This revision will probably include the option of adding matt screens if the response is substantial from the 17". I'm not sure how many people have stormed the castle concerning the glossy only screens of the Macbook Pro so it will be interesting to see if Apple responds. That is why, for those who want matt option on the 15", NOT buy, and let Apple know the reason why you're not buying. If enough people boycott then Apple might take notice.

    Finally, I think the reason we will see revisions sooner than later is because the economy is in the tank. Apple has to be more aggressive if they want to motivate people to spend money during the hard times ahead. People are going to hold off on major purchases unless something comes along that spurs them to buy. Oh, and as for revisions to the design? At least two years.
     
  7. sapota macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #8
    Any specific reason why you are buying a MBP? Why not get the latest unibody MB? unless you need firewire...that should be good enough? no?
     
  8. GTE6495 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2009
    #9
    So what your saying is that the only real reason not to buy now is to wait for OSX 10.6 to be preinstalled? Well I will still be able to get 10.6 later, right? Or are you saying that because it will cost me to upgrade and if i get it preinstalled the price wont change from what it is now with 10.5?
     
  9. bigcat macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2008
    #10
    I am also one of those wanting to upgrade but I decided to wait at least until snow leopard is released for two reasons. There are two things I want on my new MBP: Snow Leopard (of course), and official support for at least 8GB.

    Since it is unclear whether the current MBPs will ever support 8GB, I am hoping that an updated model is released with snow leopard. I know the new 17" supports 8GB but I'd really like to stay with the 15" model. I think it's very likely that snow leopard will also bring support for 8GB. And if this requires new hardware (chipset, etc..), it is likely there will be updated MBPs as well.

     

Share This Page