Advice on When to purchase a new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Austin93, Aug 29, 2009.

  1. Austin93 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2009
    #1
    hey all, i'm new to posting here but have been browsing the forums for a couple months. Anyway i was interested in getting a new MBP, and am currently still on a 4.5 year old Dell laptop. What i would get right now is the higher end 13' model. But, i am not sure if i should wait until the next refresh of either Macbooks, or MBPs... The event on September 9th is mainly ipods, and perhaps the chance of a tablet (slim though) but could there be any new Macbook news? Can someone provide any insight as to when those may be? My guess is either November or early 2010, am i right? My other question is about Snow Leopard- i can see that the MBPs ship with it, but they aren't preinstalled, right? Does anyone know when they will come preinstalled? thanks. :)
     
  2. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    Well, considering you've got an almost 5-years old laptop... I'm certain that you'll love a new MBP. I think now is a right time to buy. Obviously, you'll see a huge difference. Also, the MBP line has been upgraded not so long ago (June), so I wouldn't think there'd be anything new for at least another 5 months or so. But I could be wrong... Anyways, I believe you'd make a great purchase if you go with a MBP now. And why would you wait any longer? You obviously need an upgrade from your old Dell, and if you keep waiting for something better to come out, you'll never buy anything! Anyways, that was my two cents on that.

    As for Snow Leopard beign pre-installed, I don't have a clue when that'll be done. But I'm guessing in a few weeks from now, it should be available pre-installed. But it isn't anything complicated, really. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine. Hope that helps making a decision!
     
  3. Austin93 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2009
    #3
    yea i know, the thing is i'm thinking about whether i should wait until the new processor, Arrandale or which ever it may be. i would have to wait until probably January but would it be worth it? How do you think the price might be with that one compared to right now?
     
  4. Austin93 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2009
    #4
    sorry for the dp, but what i was thinking i might do is wait until like Sept. 8th, Which is the last day of the student discount, and the day before the 9th (Apple Event) and then possibly purchase one, this way if in the following 14 days anything new is announced i can return it.
     
  5. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    Sounds like you've got a good plan. I doubt there's going to be any announcements concerning the MBP, but you never know. But you should definitely buy now (or on the 8th). You won't regret it. Unless you're willing to wait 'till 2010... but I say go ahead and buy now.
     
  6. dennis123123 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2009
    #6
    I am also going to buy a 13" MBP soon (early october) and I was wondering if it possible to tell from the Apple website what hardware version it will be? I understand there are different hardware revisions (some with extremely minor changes) and unfortunately Linux support on the different versions varies from unbootable to perfect! The current MBP is revision 5,5
    If they do release a new version or same spec but a different hardware revision in september, will there be an announcement even if the changes are not noticable to a regular user? I need to be sure its not a 5,6 or something!!
     
  7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #7
    I know I'm going to likely run contrary to most advice here but I think you should wait if your old Dell is still holding up. There are some key technologies ready (usb 3.0, arrandale, possible apple tablet of some kind, maybe even blu-ray) that could make the the next refresh a bit more significant than usual and may affect your decision as to which computer you may actually want.
     
  8. Austin93 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2009
    #8
    This is what i am excited for. only thing is by the time they finally come out, will they cost more or less than right now? And by then my dell will be such a piece. Anyway although i really want a mbp now, i may force myself to wait. bittersweet.
     
  9. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #9
    Well, if you can wait, than you might as well do so. You can always save up your money for the next update.
     
  10. katai macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2009
    #10
    I was thinking of buying one now too and i want the itouch for free because I don't have one. It sucks that the student promo will end September 8.
     
  11. dennis123123 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2009
    #11
    it ends then because they are updating the range of ipods etc and they wouldn't want to give away the new models!

    Its a marketing gimmick to get rid of old stock.
     
  12. katai macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2009
    #12
    Ya I understand that. I wish there was a leak on the new lineups already.
     
  13. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    #13
    Snow will probably be preinstalled on all computers coming from the factory now, so I bet it will be a couple of weeks.

    I'm waiting for the new Nahalem processors to show up and will jump on the
    first 17" MBP to include them. Hoping around January 2010.
     
  14. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #14
    Yes, if your Dell is holding up, by all means wait. I highly doubt they'll ramp up the price, especially in this economy, but they won't drop it either. You'll probably be glad you did wait.:)
     

Share This Page