Advice on where to start learning how to create drum tracks. Software recommendation.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by rchip, Oct 19, 2013.

1. rchip macrumors regular

Hello guys.

I'm a guitar player, who used to play in rock/metal bands. Now I'm growing up into being a real person, I don't have time to be in a band and I'm thinking the only way I'll keep making music is if I can record it myself at home for fun.

In the past, I've experimented with Garage Band and got an idea with how it works. What I'm looking for though, before I start learning how to use recording software properly - is how to create my own drum tracks - not in Garage Band.

I've done a search of the forum and on google but couldn't really find any advice on this, my question is, what is the best drum software where I can 'draw' (is that the word?) drum tracks that doesn't have too deep of a learning curve?

My recording needs are simple, I just want to first learn how to create my own drum tracks. Then import those into Garage Band (or similar), record guitar and bass over the drum tracks. I'll tackle vocals later as I'm sure that's a lot harder.

Sorry if this post is badly structured, but I'm basically just looking for the best/easiest way to create my own electronic drum tracks that could be used in rock/metal songs that sound somewhat realistic. Once I know how to do this, then I'll start learning how to use recording software properly!

Any help would be really appreciated!

2. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry ignore this post, my terminology wasn't great in google on my first search. Ez drummer looks like a good place to start for me, unless anyone could suggest something else.

Thanks.

3. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular

Pay a real drum set player.

#SaveTheMusic

4. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

I don't need to pay a drummer. If I wanted to play with a real drummer, I'd play in a band. I don't have time for that at the moment because real life is happening (like I said in my original post), and being in a good band takes a lot of commitment.

This is something to keep myself creative and encourage me to keep playing guitar. This will simply gives me a way to record and expand upon my song ideas at home.

Thanks for the words of discouragement :rolleyes:

5. sahnert macrumors 6502

Check out the new "Drummer" feature in Logic Pro X. This would be a great way to get some customized backing tracks to play with.

Plus if you ever want to program your own drum tracks, Logic includes Ultrabeat drum synth/sequencer.

P.s. I am a "real drummer" and I think it's a great feature!