Advice on which imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by manufan1992, Sep 27, 2013.

1. manufan1992 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an imac with either one of the following specs and I can't decide which one:

Spec 1:
    21.5 inch base model with 1tb fusion drive
    £1150
    Spec 2
    21.5 inch higher end model with 5400 hdd
    £1140
    I'm currently a student and will use it for basic processing, light photoshop, and play a few games such as diablo, batman ac, tomb raider. The reason I can't decide is I'm not sure if the iris pro graphics would be good enough to play at native resolution, with high detail, or would the 750m be much better with the gddr5 memory. I would prefer a fusion drive as the speed/boot would be much quicker as I have a large iTunes library but can only afford the specs above. Ifixit showed there is a free ssd slot, and if I went with spec 2 I could add one in at a later date but ideally don't want to take the screen off.

Any advice would be great ....

2. Bear macrumors G3

The 750m would be beter for games, but the Iris Pro should be fine. I think in you case, the Fusion Drive might make the most difference.

I know it may not be possible, but I would suggest you try and find the extra money needed for the higher end model with the fusion drive. Adding an SSD to the system later would have to be done by an authorized apple service provider or you would void your warranty/Apple Care.

3. manufan1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, I think your probably right about not trying to upgrade the ssd myself. I don't think I can manage the higher end with the fusion as originally I was just going to get the base model.