advice on which software to use

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by leebrendalee, Feb 26, 2010.

1. leebrendalee macrumors newbie

I am looking for a piece of software that works like dictionary a of sorts. I need to be able to enter data and than search for that data.

I am on an imac at home, however I want to use it at work and cannot use an outside website or I'd just do that with cms software.

Is there any product that would work converting databases or anything.

I'd like it to be very easy software and easy to learn. I think access which is MS is overkill for what I need.

suggestions please?:eek:

2. JWFerne macrumors regular

I'd probably use Notational Velocity if your looking for simple text/note entry with search capability. If you install dropbox (which I would highly recommend) then you can save the data file there and it'll sync with different machines if you have dropbox & velocity on each one. This would be a simple & free solution. Other knock offs of Notational Velocity are Nottingham & Simplenote. All are free

Circus Ponies Notebook is also a pretty great program too, but that's probably overkill.

p.s. just re-read your question... if your looking for more of a database solution, I suppose Bento might do what you need. I would use Dropbox as your go-between the different computers though as it is quite excellent at what it does!

3. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

What do you mean by this? Do you want something that basically uses some sort of database for its underlying structure, or do you want to modify existing DBs?

If the former, then I second Notational Velocity.

4. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

5. leebrendalee thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, just checked out Notational Velocity that's just about exactly what I could use. Will check out some of the others mentioned also. In answer to other question it doesn't have to be database driven.

Only requirements is that I want to make it on a make and use it on a pc? Or something like that, export to a pc?

I'm off to work now----cannot wait to get home and try the others mentioned. I really like that Notational Velocity but not sure I can take it to the pc.

Thanks again.....