Advice/Opinions re: eBay

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Dec 4, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well, I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad S10 on eBay for $450. The listing says that the item is brand new. I got the package today, and it has obviously been opened already. The netbook looks fine, and everything is in there though.

I sent the seller a message saying that I got the package, that it's obviously been opened already, and that his listing says that it's brand new.

He replied saying that he opened the package to turn it on to make sure it works. I'm not sure if I believe that, though, nor that it's really necessary to open it and turn it on to make sure it works (the listing claims that it's brand new, and hence covered by Lenovo's one-year warranty).

What do you think? I can either let it go, or pursue it. As the buyer, I basically have absolute power under eBay/PayPal's new rules.

2. jamin100 macrumors 6502

apart from the box being open if you cant otherwise tell that its not new then i would just keep it.

Are there any marks / scratches on the netbook?

3. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I wouldn't say you have 'absolute power.' Sellers already had enough trouble with buyers before eBay changed their policies. Don't let the fact that eBay biasedly leans to the buyer effect your decision - as a buyer you entered into the agreement, whether eBay lets you back out of it or not.

If the ad stated the item was new, but didn't specifically say "New In Box" (which is an advertising point in itself) then let it go. Be a good sport about it.

However, if the ad specifically said the box was unopened, then I'd say pursue it - the item is not as described.

Don't let eBay's changes go to your head - most sellers are honest. Try to be that way in return.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^

It's those damn semantics that make eBay such a pain the ass.

5. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

When I sell items on eBay that are new, I sometimes will open the box to prove that there is an item inside the box and I am not just sending the person an empty box. If the item is in new condition, I would be fine with it.

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

If you read over computer ads on eBay, you will find that a large percentage of them will actually say in the ad that the package has been opened to verify that the device powers on and comes up. This is very typical. I, personally, wouldn't worry about it.

7. descartes macrumors 6502

I agree right or wrong there is a difference on ebay btw new and unopened. Even new in box can sometimes not mean unopened. what's the seller's feedback like?