Advice please - faulty BTO early 2015 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoho86, Mar 30, 2015.

1. zoho86 macrumors newbie

Hi,

This is my first time posting so go gentle!

I took delivery of my BTO early 2015 rMBP on Tuesday 24th. On Thursday 26th I was watching Netflix in Safari and the screen froze (audio continued), and system was unresponsive to keyboard & trackpad. Held down power button to reboot, macbook recognised there had been a problem, reported it to Apple, I thought "Hmm thats weird", continued watching Netflix.

Not ten minutes later, the screen froze again, this time audio stopped, and then the screen started flickering, switching between frozen screen of what I was watching and black screen. Again, system was unresponsive to keyboard & trackpad. I managed to capture this as a video on my phone. There have been no other problems with the macbook in what little I have used it for so far, I hasten to add.

Went to my local Apple store on Saturday 28th and showed a genius my video. He said he has never seen this problem before and he was sorry this has happened and I should of course get a replacement. He said Apple would do a doorstep exchange so I wasn't inconvenienced. I was happy with all this, good service.

Then he said I have to call Apple online to organise the replacement, so he put me on the phone to them while I was instore. They told me that doorstep exchange was done away with a long time ago, and that I would first have to have my faulty macbook collected by UPS, then when that arrives at the factory my replacement macbook will be dispatched.

Ultimately I am now very p'd off that I am going to be without a macbook for over a week, when it is no fault of my own, I really did expect better customer service from Apple - very disappointing. Add to this I will have to take 2 days off work to be at home for collection and delivery is just a joke.

So I am asking you guys - has anyone ever experienced this before? Should I call Apple again and push for doorstep exchange? What are my rights? Thank you!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you call apple yourself and explain the situation?

3. zoho86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I called them from the Apple store. I said I'm very disappointed you won't do doorstep exchange and the guy spouted the verbal equivalent of a shoulder shrug.

----------

Just thought to add, I'm in the UK if that makes a difference & this is my first macbook. I am seriously questioning whether the switch from Windows laptops was worth it!

4. omvs macrumors 6502

Can you just return for refund? Seems like you're well within 30days, and unless the UK policies are different than here, I would imagine it shouldn't be a problem. If you want no overlap, order new one now, return old one when you get it.

I returned a online Apple Store Refurb to our local store a couple days after getting it (realized I ordered wrong machine too late) and they didn't even ask why I was returning it. Or maybe my store is just a lot friendlier - only had good experiences.

5. zoho86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish I could return for refund after buying a new one - great idea - but I don't have those kinds of funds available, no matter how temporary :(

6. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

you don't need funds to get a refund. They give you the money..
    Or am i misunderstanding something here?

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Return to the shop for credit

and order the new one online, it'll lessen the time for a replacement by a few days

8. diesel macrumors 6502a

If you have a credit card just order a new one, return the old for a refund (Apple is very quick in issuing the refund once the original machine is received by apple). By the time payment is due on credit card for new machine the refund will have hit netting everything out.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I would try this unless OP is cool without having a machine.

10. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

That's a serious gamble, which could impact on your credit rating, I'm not sure how strict UK banks are with insufficient credit purchase attempts..

The worst part of OP's story is the having to wait 2 days at home to ensure he gets his replacement delivered... surely they could just ship the replacement to the apple store you go to and arrange for you to pickup there?

11. diesel macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about in regards to serious gamble that could impact your credit rating??? What I suggested assumes there is sufficient credit on the card in question to purchase a new one while waiting for the old one to be sent back, processed, and refunded. If OP has limited credit where he has to worry about the timing of it all and a new purchase cannot be covered without the refund being issued than yes......DO NOT do it. However if there is more than sufficient credit and the OP cannot be without a machine then go for it.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Who does "doorstep exchanges"? :confused:

13. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

The OP said "I wish I could return for refund after buying a new one - great idea - but I don't have those kinds of funds available, no matter how temporary" which kinda suggests he doesn't have a credit card with enough credit to go out and buy a 2nd Mac while waiting for the 1st one to be refunded...

14. zoho86 thread starter macrumors newbie

According to the Apple genius I saw instore, they used to - he arranged one for a customer just before xmas. It is ideal.

To those above, I don't have a credit card with that kind of limit on it, purchasing a new one is out of the question. I just can't understand where this 'bend over backwards Apple customer service' is - I don't see it. Spent another 45 mins on the phone to Apple today and still no offer of assistance - why should I have to be inconvenienced like this when the machine has a hardware fault?? So annoyed / disappointed especially as it's my first macbook.