Advice please! I bought 1333 memory......

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigboar, Nov 24, 2012.

1. bigboar macrumors 6502

Hi all, I bought 16gb of 1333 memory for my new MVP that is coming next week. For some dumb reason I thought I read that was the fastest speed it took and when I got a sale for $45 Thursday night I jumped on it. Today I went to apple to read about the mbp(excitement waiting for it to get here) and I see it supports 1600. I guess the advice I am asking is will there be a noticeable difference? I bought the base mbp 4gb. The cheapest I have found 1600 for so far is $70 but that is only $25 difference and I don't want to stick with the cheaper memory if it is something that will make a difference...thanks in advance,,,,,

2. jvpython macrumors 6502

The everyday task performance difference will not be noticeable but if you do some heavy tasks and need to best speed you should get the bet RAM you can. Also remember the GPU shares that RAM so the faster RAM may increase graphic performance a bit.

3. bigboar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks j, I ended up finding 1600 for $49.99 on amazon. It is komputerbay which I don't know much about but there were reviews saying it was working perfect in the MBP so I am gonna take the chance. Plus with amazon if its junk it's an easy free return.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That depends. The 13" GPU is exclusively integrated, in which case you would be correct, but the 15" has the discrete GPU which is used automatically if there is enough load. Any load significant enough to show a difference between 1333 MHz and 1600 MHz should cause the OS to switch to the discrete GPU anyway.