Advice please re: Raw files iphoto

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Romanyrye, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Romanyrye macrumors newbie

Fairly new to Mac and have downloaded all my photos, taken in RAW, to iphoto as I could not see where else to store them. Now they are only displaying as jpeg. Does this mean that I have lost all the RAW data or is there a way to open them in RAW. I have just installed Adobe CC and would like to access the RAW images. I would like to tag images and store in folders but not sure how to do this either. I am used to windows and finding this Mac confusing. Advice would be appreciated.

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Select an image, and go to Export, the option to change to "Original" should be there and you should be able to export in the original format.

Paul

3. suprakc macrumors regular

This has been covered in these forums a few times. A simple search yielded this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1239241

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2417?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I used iPhoto for editing my RAW files for a while. The way it works, and you will notice, when you are editing a photo, it will display "RAW" in the histogram and photo info as well. When you exit out of the edit, that image saves as two copies - one as a .jpeg preview, which is what you see in your library - and one as the original RAW file, which you see during an edit. This is because iPhoto is a DAM.

As far as moving the files to CC - It would have been easier to import them into lightroom first, as the original RAW files are kept "hidden" within the iPhoto library. You have a couple of options: 1 - From within iPhoto, you can open the image and "open in external editor" or 2 -

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4491

At the bottom of the article, it tells you how to reveal the original file in finder. From here, you can copy the image to a file and import them into CC.

Hope this helps. I am just barely making a switch to Adobe Lightroom myself.
    Cheers.

4. Romanyrye thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice. Yes, it does help. I am a slow learner. I have only just installed Adobe CC and the photos were already on iphoto. In future I will download direct to Lightroom as suggested.

Thank you for the links.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

My suggestion is to pick either LR or iPhoto, and not use both. It sounds from the post quoted you might be thinking of importing to LR then to iPhoto.

One of the nuances of iPhoto and Lightroom that many new users miss is that the original images - in your case the RAW files - are never altered. When you edit an image in LR or iPhoto the application keeps a record of those edits in its database. It only applies those edits when you look at the image, or export the image.

For example - if you crop an image and then turn it into a BW photo in LR, if you then access the original image using iPhoto (that is - without exporting it first) you will simply see the original uncropped and unedited RAW file in iPhoto. All of the those edits are 'lost' as far as iPhoto is concerned.

When you use Photoshop as an external editor, iPhoto or LR will usually send it the image with the existing edits noted (in LR you have several options, in fact) and then when you 'Save' in the Photoshop the edited image is then placed next to the original untouched file.

If you access the original RAW files directly with Photoshop (instead of having PS set up as an external editor in iPhoto or LR) you will be editing an image that has none of the edits you have done in LR or iPhoto. Plus - unless you do a 'Save As' in Photoshop you will overwrite the original RAW file... potentially corrupting the database.

So... my suggestion... pick one DAM, and then send the images to Photoshop by linking it as the external editor to that DAM.

Also keep in mind that everything about iPhoto and Lightroom noted above also applies to Aperture. In the case of Aperture and iPhoto you can in fact use two DAMs because they can share a common library.

Luck.

6. Romanyrye thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried File, Export, Original and asked it to Export to photoshop. A message came up to say that it was unable to do this. Not very helpful. I am relieved that my RAW files are still intact somewhere so I will continue to try and retrieve them.

I will in future download directly to photoshop but wanted to work on files that were in iphoto prior to subscribing to Adobe CC.

I also have Capture One software so assume I can export to that in the same way if necessary.

How do I link Photoshop to iphoto please. Maybe that will help.

7. Romanyrye thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for advice so far. I tried to select the photo and export, original and got a message to say it couldn't be done. I then tried the other way by opening photoshop and FILE, OPEN, selected apps to find iphoto but iphoto was greyed out and could not be selected. I had the same problem with Capture One software. How do I make iphoto accessible to my photo editing please.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

In the Preferences for iPhoto you set Photoshop as the External Editor. Once that is set then the usual workflow is...

1) Import images into iPhoto, and do your tagging and organization.
    2) Make the majority of edits in iPhoto. Cropping etc.
    3) For those images that need extra help you choose Edit in External Editor for that image. (I don't have iPhoto on this laptop, so I'm trying to go from memory). Don't look for an Export to ... option. It is an Edit with/in ... option.
    4) At this point the external editor will open up with the image. Edit away. When you are done "Save" the image.
    5) A copy of the image with the edits will be saved back into the iPhoto Library, next to the original file. You will now have two copies of the image.

Aperture and Lightroom work the same way.

If you are having teething problems with iPhoto, my suggestion would be stay away from Capture One for the moment. It is a very powerful and capable application of course, but probably not the easiest one to learn. It has more powerful editing features than iPhoto, Aperture, and Lightroom... but not quite as powerful for organizing. But it has a quirky interface that will likely drive you nuts. I've resigned myself to the reality that I will need to go to a seminar to really get to know it well. It is, and works like, the other DAMs mentioned above... which means that you shouldn't use two of them together.

Luck.