Advice please: sell or keep first gen macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yojitani, May 6, 2009.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

About a month ago I bought a first gen Macbook Pro on ebay - 1.83 CD etc. It is in very good, great really, cosmetic condition, the battery only had 25 cycles on it, I maxed out the ram. BUT I'm concerned about a few issues. 1) it has the whining problem which I treated with quietmacbookpro (or whatever that app is called). It's not very bad and to be honest I didn't notice it until I was using it in a quiet room. 2) it gets VERY hot. Yesterday, it was idling while I was working between computers (I have an iMac as well) and the fans started up pretty loudly. According to istat, the CPU was going at 112 degrees C (233 F)!! :eek: 3) the fans seem kind of loud (but that's probably just me). From what I know about the computer, it was a company computer that was not used often and not used outside of the office. I guess that's why no one actually dealt with these issues in its first year.

Now, here's the problem. I bought this computer to replace my macbook (also a 1.83 CD) because I found the screen to be too small for the type of work I need to do on it. I haven't sold the macbook yet. My plan was to use this MBP for the summer and then in the fall when my pay goes up, sell it and get a new MBP. But now I'm worried that I might have problems with the MBP because of the heat (I have to say that even though my macbook had a new logic board put in just over a year ago, it still heats up randomly so..) or other issues. Do you think I'd be better off just selling the MBP again (at the price I got it, I'm sure I could make my money back) and hanging on with the MB?

I'm asking here because I'd imagine that a number of you had these computers and might have an idea of what I could expect a few months down the road.

(I should mention that I really like the MBP because it's matte... that's the one thing I really dislike about the current lineup - glossy screens. bleagh!)

2. Inside_line macrumors regular

Download a fan control program and fire up those fans. I've got a 1st gen 2ghz machine and these things run hot. The prog I like best is fan control exponent (google it). Set the fans to highest and the temps to coolest and you will be much happier. I also use coolbook to control the frequency... if I'm going to be using it on my lap I lock it to 1ghz and that helps dramatically as well. I think the core2duos run much cooler if you don't want to bother with all this...

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The first generation MacBook Pro is close to 3 years old. If its just only being used and not maintained, the heatsink can be severely clogged up with dust. If so, your system will not be able to cool itself at all.

4. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

OK. so this might be a stupid question, but how do I get the dust out of the heatsink?

Thanks for all this info. I'll check out the fan control exponent. I am using smcFanControl right now. It works pretty well overall.

The C2Ds must be cooler. I have 2 C2D iMacs in the house and they rarely go above 70C. That said, the reason I went for the CD is that I could sell my macbook more or less for the same price :D and I was generally happy with it. I mainly use my laptop for word processing and presentations, so I don't really need a workhorse.

Edit: is this the program you meant?
    http://scarff.id.au/blog/2009/exponent-for-fan-control/

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I use a compressed air can and blow it into the vents. It breaks up the dust so its not clumped up causing heat buildup. However, the most effective way is to remove the upper casing and blow compressed air from there.

6. Inside_line macrumors regular

Thats the one... I leave the exponent set to 1. This version has a slightly cooler upper threshold vs. the original fan control so it makes the fans rev up more aggressively with increasing temperatures. I don't like the behavior of the fans with SMC.... it's either too loud or too hot.

Don't forget about coolbook.. you can lock your frequency down for increased battery life and cooler performance. Also, if you pay for it you can undervolt the cpu to maximize battery life and minimize heat depending on the quality of silicone in your machine. I'm running between 0.95 volts and 1.075 which is about 0.2 volts less than the default voltage at 2ghz (pretty significant). You've got to have some geek in you to do this though, it involves purposely crashing the machine several times at different frequencies to find what voltage your processor actually needs. Even if you had a C2D this program is worth the effort and small cost to minimize power consumption of the machine.

7. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

:D Check on that one! Thanks so much for the advice!

8. Inside_line macrumors regular

Glad to help, just remember to backup your machine first... you run the risk of creating disk problems due to the crashes. You will need to run disk utility after you are done playing.

9. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

I just wanted to say that FanControl exponent is a great tool. I was using SMCfancontrol, but FanControl is definitely more quiet and seems to be more effective at keeping the computer cool.

I haven't used CoolBook yet.