ADVICE PLEASE! :) Thunderbolt Display and GLARE - Post your pics!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by npdale, Feb 25, 2013.

1. npdale macrumors member

Hey Guys

So I am thinking about picking up a TBD to go with my 17" MBP - I have been waiting for a new one, but I'm tired of it so I would like any help from forum members regarding the one sticking point I have .... The Glare... How bad is it in reality - in the Apple Stores it is horrendous, but in real world use? I'm a photographer and film producer.. :)

Thanks everyone!

2. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I prefer glossy screens, so I'm pretty much used to it. My office is fully light-controlled though. The blinds are always closed. If you have a lot of natural light in your work area it could be a problem...

3. theluggage macrumors 68030

Although some people feel passionately, it is really a case of "what you lose on the roundabouts you gain on the swings" and depends on your personal preferences and working environment.

Let's say you've got sunlight streaming in through your window - if that hits a matte screen then it gets scattered in all directions and just washes out the whole screen. With a glossy screen, provided you can position it so that the light is hitting it at an angle, a lot of the light is simply reflected away from you, and the screen remains quite usable (provided you keep it free of dust and fingerprints!)

If, however, you've got a lot of bright lights, or a brightly lit scene behind you, it's going to be hard to avoid the reflections.

I find that, in most conditions, the reflections only bother me if I let them - they're not at the same focal distance as the screen image anyway so you just look through them. However, that's with a "normal" screen full of detailed text. If you're looking at a full-screen image with lots of dark areas then the reflection is going to be more annoying.

Then again, if you're trying to do detailed colour photo/movie editing with lights and windows shining on your screen then - glossy or matte - you're doing it wrong. Matte screens just sweep the issue under the carpet.

Also, all matte screens are not created equal - some have 'grainy' finishes that make the display fuzzy/sparkly, others are better.

The anti-reflective coating on the new iMacs sounds interesting - that should actually attenuate the reflections rather than scattering them. Try having a look at the new iMacs in the store - although there's been no announcement, the best guess is that any new display will be based on the iMac screen.