Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
I am in a dilema as to which to buy - same price

MacBook Air 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Originally released mid 2009
13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
2GB memory
128GB solid-state drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
Built-in iSight Camera

OR

MacBook Air 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Originally released October 2010
13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
2GB memory
128GB flash storage
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
FaceTime camera

Battery life and weight is also important

CountBrass

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
No brainer.

This is a complete no-brainer.

Buy the 2010 model.

Better yet, buy the 2010 model with 4GB of memory.

endhalf

macrumors regular
May 24, 2011
even though 2009 has higher frequency on CPU, 2010 CPU should be faster than 2009 anyway, so this is nobrainer... Also, 2009 model has poor battery life (3 hours with wifi?)

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Thanks.

Even though the slower CPU. I suppose better everything else. OK I'll go for the 2010 model

CountBrass

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Thanks.

Even though the slower CPU. I suppose better everything else. OK I'll go for the 2010 model

It's not a slower CPU. Literally everything is better on the 2010 model.

Clock speed isn't useful in comparing processors unless they are otherwise identical. For example a Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfdale 2c) running at 3.33 GHz is significantly slower than an Intel Core i7-870 running at 2.97GHz.

Last edited:

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
This is a complete no-brainer.

Buy the 2010 model.

Better yet, buy the 2010 model with 4GB of memory.

Looks like you can't add the extra RAM after purchase? Is this true? Went on to the Crucial site and there are no upgrade options.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have the first of the two models you describe, bought it in early Sept 2010. It is a beautiful computer and I am very happy with it.

However, battery life (as already helpfully pointed out by endhalf) could be a lot better - you are really talking about approximately three hours. In your situation, I'd recommend that you go with the 2010 option (perhaps, if funds are an issue, wait until the next update which appears to be predicted by many of the savants on this forum, and then buy the 2010 superceded model, which should have undergone a considerable price drop by then). Of course, if you do buy the 2010 model, you'll miss out on the backlit keyboard.....

Cheers

Last edited:

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
However, battery life (as already helpfully pointed out by endhalf) could be a lot better - you are really talking about approximately three hours. In your situation, I'd recommend that you go with the 2010 option... you'll miss out on the backlit keyboard.....

Cheers

Thanks - sort of decided on the 2010 model with 4GB. Pity about the backlit keyboard I guess it was a battery issue. But could have been an option. Would also prefer a matte screen.

But I find all Apple purchases are a compromise eg like no HDMI or VGA or DVD

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm not sure that the backlit keyboard was a battery issue; my old MBP had one and my current MBA also has. As you will probably have seen on other threads, this is a topic which generates much strong feeling, both pro and against the BLK. Personally, I like it a lot and have also found it very useful. Moreover, I can also see Apple re-instating it at some stage, or, rather, I sincerely hope that they do.

From your perspective, I really think you are better off with the 2010 model. I bought mine (which was really the 2009 Rev C upgrade) as a sort of gift to myself at the end of a rather challenging two year period abroad, when rumour (here and elsewhere) had it that Apple might have been about to discontinue the MBA line; as I travel a lot, and weight is an issue, I decided to buy one.

Needless to say, within a month, the truly revolutionary upgrade - including the introduction of the 11" - was issued. I am not really bothered about it, as I am not one to switch computers every two or three months, but I will say that I am impressed by reports I have read about the battery life of the new MBAs. That is certainly a consideration for someone in the market for a new MBA, and it would be for me, if I wished to buy a new MBA.

For future proofing, 4GB RAM sounds a good idea and I think you are right to take that option.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.