Advice Please...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by treefidi, Aug 2, 2011.

  1. treefidi macrumors newbie

    Dec 3, 2009
    Hi All,
    I am about to buy my first mac after being a PC enthusiast for the last 20 years or so. It is for my business (HD film editing) and I was going to either get a Mac Pro or a iMac. My budget is about £4000 and I want whatever will reduce my workflow. (My PC spends half it's time crashing Premiere and then takes 20 mins to recover).
    I have heard that there is a new Mac Pro on the horizon but there is no confirmation and that the iMac has had a recent upgrade to make it a pretty quick machine. I have also heard however it is prone to overheating, especially considering what I will be throwing at it. (Pretty much constant rendering demands). It does, on the other hand, come with a monitor.
    I can't really make up my mind as I am a complete Mac novice so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

    Feb 13, 2009
    United Kingdom
    The first 2 questions really are: "Do you, or will you ever at any point, need the expansion capabilities of the Mac Pro?" and "Do you need 8 or more cores?"
  3. anim8or macrumors 65816


    Aug 16, 2006
    Scotland, UK
    I have just been in the same situation, i am a compositor/animator so slightly different but similar workloads.

    I opted to order the 12 core Mac Pro, just last night!!!

    After asking many people on here and reading countless threads on the subject i decided that there was no clear answer as to whether there will be a refresh soon, and i simply decided not to wait.... one could end up waiting forever!

    For me the performance upgrade from my current Mac Pro will be more than enough power and i can foresee my new machine lasting a good few years doing the work i do.....

    I also began doubting what way Apple will go with the next refresh, in terms of the current state of 'dumbing' down their pro lines and worried that if waited the next Mac Pro may not be the machine i was looking for (and i don't want to switch to windows!).

    The iMac was an option but many were of the opinion that doing the kind of work i do the parts amy not last as long as i would be pushing them to their limits inside the thin enclosure of the iMac and thus putting them under a lot of strain in terms of heat. This was the major con for me as i would have loved the 27" screen and the future expandability that the Thunderbolt port provides.

    I did however decide that TB wasn't a necessity to me and my workflow so the current Mac Pro 12 core (comes in at around £4000) would suit me.

    Check out the thread i started in an effort to aid my decision it may be useful....
  4. treefidi thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 3, 2009

    Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!

Share This Page