Advice please?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iTunen, Jun 20, 2012.

  1. iTunen, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

    iTunen macrumors newbie

    May 30, 2012
    I have an iphone 3gs running ios 4.3.3 and modem firmware 05.13.04 that is jailbroken with snowbreeze and unlocked with ultrasnow. I have shsh saved for this phone from 4.0 all the way to 5.1.1. My phone was manufactured the 35th week of 2009 according to the serial number. The carrier is at&t. I use Windows.

    Everything works as it should.

    I am out of contract with at&t and am approved for free factory unlock, which I have not done yet.

    Here is where i need some advice:

    If I do an official itunes restore with the latest version of itunes, I know I will lose my jailbreak and ultrasnow unlock. I assume it will restore to ios 5.1.1 and whatever the associated modem firmware would be at this time.

    Here are questions:

    1. Am I correct in this assumption in paragraph 5 above?

    2. Is that likely to be a smooth restore given what I have described?

    3. if it restores to 5.1.1 with the new modem firmware, am I correct in assuming I could jailbreak with absinthe or redsnow?

    4. if I chose to skip the official itunes restoration and jailbreak my already jailbroken phone with latest redsnow which will update to 5.1.1, my understanding is that i will lose the unlock due to modem firmware update, which is ok with me since i'm on a legit at&t out-of-contract account, and can factory unlock through itunes in a week or so. Does this sound correct?

    5. would it be better to just do the official itunes restore now which will upgrade to 5.1.1 and the lastest modem firmware, and then jailbreak later and then unlock when at&t sends me the factory unlock info?

    I realize this is a lot of question asking, but I will be grateful for constructive input here.

    Thanks in advance.
  2. TriJetHero macrumors 601


    Oct 13, 2010
    1 Yes

    2 Yes

    3 Yes

    4 You can Restore to 5.1.1 while perserving your Baseband, download a stock 5.1.1 IPSW, in redsn0w go to extras/custom IPSW, select your stock 5.1.1, redsn0w will make a custom NO_BB IPSW, in itunes ALT-restore(mac) or SHIFT-restore(win) with that NO_BB IPSW. your phone will have 5.1.1 with your current 05.13.04 BB, jailbreak and use ultrasn0w to unlock.

    5 yes you can, but if something goes wrong with the offical unlock you could get stuck without a phone for a while or permanently.

    I would wait the extra week for the official unlock and upgrade than. Or go for procedure 4.
  3. iTunen thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 30, 2012

    thx so much for the quik reply. I am inclined to wait as you suggest to do the factory unlock and leave it as is for now. Do you think my current jailbreak situation will interfere with the factory unlock through itunes process? I sort of assume that the factory unlock thru itunes process will require me to restore or update this phone with latest version of itunes anyway, but I really don't know since I have not tried that factory unlock thru itunes procedure before.

    Thanks again.
  4. TriJetHero macrumors 601


    Oct 13, 2010
    Yes, the unlock requires a deactivated phone, so either a deactivation by SAM or a restore is required.

    As you want to restore to 5.1.1 anyway i would hold of, only drawback in waiting is a new release from apple, which would not have a way to jailbreak yet.

    So save your SHSH with Tinyumbrella for now to make a restore to 5.1.1 possible even when apple releases a new iOS, and pay attention to the forum to check for any new releases.
  5. iTunen thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 30, 2012
    I sure appreciate your advice. I have already saved shsh with TU for this phone for ios 4.0 thru ios 5.1.1

    I think I will take your advice & I will wait til i get the email from at&t that provides the factory unlock instructions and go from there.

    Best regards.:)

Share This Page