Advice re Customer service on my MBP please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by barnetda, Sep 21, 2009.

1. barnetda macrumors regular

I would like your unbiased advice.

I have been a mac convert since 2001.

I have a MBP and a MacPro and my kids and wife have 3 macbooks between them.

I purchased my MBP 2 years ago and took out (thankfully Applecare).

Last year following a software update my MBP suffered from continual kernal panics. I took it into the Apple Store. They kept it for a day and repaired some software defect and the machine was fine.

3 months ago the machine would not boot up and it turned out it needed a new logic board. Apple genius sent it to be repaired and i was without the MBP for 2 weeks (logic board was out of stock ).

Today while traveling on holiday in the UK my MBP wouldnt power up. I found an Apple Store 40 miles away and after attempts to repair it on the spot they said they think the logic board has failed again and it will be 7-14 days.

I am leaving the UK for 3 weeks at the weekend so i had no choice but to buy a new MBP and get them to transfer the data of my HD over. They did that and sent my original MBP of for repair for me to collect hopefully when i return in 3 weeks.

My question is do you think Apple should either replace my MBP for me or at least contribute towards the new one? Is it reasonable for 2 logic boards to fail and for the MBP to be out of service for 2 periods of 2 weeks?

I value the views on here highly.

thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean that is their normal service policy, you should have waited to buy the new one and tried to work something out with them. I agree it's strange, but they wait until the third successive error to replace anything.

3. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

I did try and work something out with them before i bought.They said its 3 times before they replace.
    But i did not have an option i need my MBP for my trip and couldnt do anything else.

I am just aggrieved that i am out $2000 and all i am doing is replacing something that i shouldnt have to replace.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The "lack of option" because you are traveling has no bearing on Apple or your "case" - the fact that you pulled the trigger to buy was completely you, whether you were traveling on business, to see auntie, or save the world from destruction. Apple is keeping up their end of the applecare agreement by repairing it. Nowhere in your documentation will you find anything about the computer lasting forever or about instant replacement.

You're not out $2K, you have a brand new MacBook Pro. If you're so aggrieved, sell the old one when it comes back.

5. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

While i feel disappointed, i did want the valued unbiased opinions of those on here.

The view is that 2 logic board repairs is not enough to warrant any additional assistance from Apple. I will accept that view and i greatly appreciate the time taken to reply to me.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...while you did get pretty fair advise on the above posts, I was actually a little surprised...

If you haven't left yet, I'd actually take the "new" MBP back, return it for a refund (explaining your situation why it was purchased due to panic of the upcoming need/trip) and get yourself a cheap computer for the trip (netbook), then you can give it to a young family member upon return from your trip - someone who doesn't have any computer at all as a gift/tax write off...

Maybe when your machine returns from :apple: you will get lucky with an upgraded model - or that third repair you need to get that upgraded model...

7. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is i am heading for Asia and I needed the info that was on my MBP. They transferred all of the HD to my new MBP.

I was a bit suprised that the view of effectively having my MBP in for repair a total of 1 month in the last 3 months is acceptable but i live and learn!!

8. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Why not take one of your spare macbooks - children can live without a computer for a week or two. You should back up all data to an external HDD - something i once discovered to my cost.....

You could then have copied over to one of the macbooks

Yes they are not as good - but cant imagine it would not suffice for a small trip

Or like has been suggested 14 day money back guarantee

9. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

it's complicated. My kids are in Asia studying so they have their MacBooks.
    My wife protects hers like gold.

I do back up but of course the external HD is in the USA.

I can only hope repair comes back before weekend but I doubt it.

10. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

I have had some excellent news. My origianl MBP has had a new logic board fitted and is ready for collection.

I will now return the new MBP for a full refund.

I will need to wipe the HD do i just insert the disk and do a clean install?

Do i press any letter on the keyboard once ive inserted the dvd to reinstall?

Thanks