Advice RE: iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by andreamaym, Dec 26, 2016.

1. andreamaym macrumors member

I currently have a 16gb 1st generation iPad mini which hasn't been performing very well the last few months. I used to use it for all online activities and rarely touched my Macbook Pro but now I find myself doing the opposite because my iPad mini is so slow.

Anyway, I'm ready to upgrade to a 9.7" pro, but I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to get 32GB plus a pencil OR 128GB and wait to get a pencil later. I don't store music or videos on my current iPad - I use my iPhone 7 for that. I managed just fine with my 16GB Mini but I'm worried that 32GB may impact performance? What are your thoughts?

2. PrettyWings macrumors regular

3. JD2015 macrumors 6502

32gb plus pencil. You can always explore wifi storage options if required at a later stage.

4. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

32 GB is the new 16GB....go with the 128 and future proof your iPad. Even with online storage, it runs out fast. Or perhaps a compromise, and get the 64gb and the Apple pencil. But if you can wait until March do so. Rumor has it that's when new iPad pros will be announced alongside a possible apple pencil 2.

5. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

128GB and buy Pencil later. You can't use external storage for apps. Meanwhile, you can easily buy a Pencil as add-on anytime.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 26, 2016 ---
    There's no 64GB model for the Pro. Goes directly from 32GB to 128GB for $100 price difference.

6. Kekinash macrumors member

Kekinash

128 GB, no doubts about it. The pencil can be purchase at any moment. Adding later more GBs it's out of question.

7. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Then obviously you'll be fine with 32gb, given your usage profile remains similar.

8. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Caveat, the original Mini only has 1024x768 resolution. One thing I noticed when I switched to retina display is that apps became larger. That said, 32GB is serviceable but I personally prefer having the breathing room that 128GB provides.

9. ericwn macrumors 65816

I would feel better with more storage personally.

10. Jessica08 macrumors regular

Jessica08

I got the 128GB because it was only $100 more, and even though I got by with 16GB on my last iPad, I wanted more security. IMO the pro iPad should start at 64GB instead of 32.

11. andreamaym thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for all of your input. I opted for the 128gb with a smart cover for the time being!

12. mellofello macrumors 65816

128 gb. Well worth the upgrade to get so much more storage. The holiday sales are over, but keep a eye out. I have seen them go on sale for the same price as the 32 gb

13. andreamaym thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I've only seen them marked down by $30 here in Canada. I was hoping Apple would have a promo for Boxing Day like they did on Black Friday where you could gwt a gift card with your purchase, but no such luck!

14. ericwn macrumors 65816

It doesn't seem that anybody else in Canada does much of a price reduction either, I checked a couple of shops, so far nothing worth mentioning.

15. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

Based you what you've written above, I would recommend trying to hold out until the next iPad is released in the March timeframe.

You are currently using a 1st generation iPad mini and Apple is currently on the 4th generation. That leads me to believe that you have a very long upgrade cycle. Buying the latest in March would provide better future proofing. This in turn allows you to save for updating other Apple products.

In regards to storage options, you can get by with 32 GB. But I believe that the experience is compromised by doing so.

You mentioned the Apple pencil. That leads me to believe that you are expecting to use this iPad for drawing and other note taking. That means graphics and that means you will be using more storage than you do now. While it is unlikely you will need 128 GB based on your use case, I think you will be squeezed at 32 GB.

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

128 GB. Save up for the pencil. The ability to download a handful of movies is enough to justify the $100.

17. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

I love how people keep answering even though the OP posted that they already ordered the 128gb model. And by "love", I actually mean I totally hate it.

18. bensisko macrumors 65816

OP: Have you considered a Surface Pro 4 instead?

Kidding! ;-)