Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2011
Hello all,
I recently got an 8GB RAM upgrade from crucial.com for my Mid 2009 Macbook Pro. I popped the RAM chips in my laptop a while back and got a memtest86 bootable CD and started scanning the system. After a while, I started getting errors. I then removed the RAM and put it in back again. I am now running memtest again and 1 iteration is over without any errors. I am kind of confused. Did I mess up the first time in installing it or is the second memtest test just missing the errors? Some advice would be helpful.

Thanks

bryan85

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Crucial is normally high quality RAM. I would physically inspect the RAM for defects, then try installing the it once more. Make sure it is full seated, and run the test again. You should not receive any errors. If you do get errors, RMA the RAM.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Try re-seating the chips. If the problem continues call Crucial. They have great support and if necessary they will replace your chips

dvcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2011
So I ran the memtest again for 7 hours and it started showing errors after a while...Aargh

dvcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2011
BTW, has any one heard of false positives on memtest? I selected the Bootable Linux CD available at Memtest86.com and burned it as a bootable dvd from my Mac and then started using it. I ask because I just removed the crucial chips and reseated my old RAM in and I am hitting into errors on it. Now, I have never scanned the old RAM before using memtest but I am pretty sure I seated it properly: I have checked two videos, the ifixit instructions and the instruction on the Apple site.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Remove your old RAM, and just put the 4GB of Crucial sticks in the slots, and re-run ... If you get no errors, then you can be sure that your original memory has problems.

dvcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2011
I am kind of confused: I think the Crucial RAM already had errors. So I am not sure how the absence or presence of errors using the Crucial RAM will tell me much about my old RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.