Advice regarding a complaint letter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amoda, Jun 15, 2009.

1. amoda macrumors 6502a

Hey,

I'm writing to Apple (through email, might send a letter through snail mail too) and I'm asking for your advice. Sorry for the length of it. Any suggestions? Am I being unreasonable? Writing style isn't appropriate? Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

To whom it may concern,

I'm writing in complaint of my third Macbook Pro (Serial #: -------).

This is the third Macbook Pro that I've owned, and the third to cause me grief.

Some short history:

First Macbook Pro purchased in 2006, a 1.83CD.

Developed several logic board, screen and fan problems. After the final repair (which replaced the logic board and fans) I sold the laptop for a significant loss due to it's intensive repair history. Had it functioned as it should have I would not have sold it to begin with.

Over the course of 12 months, the laptop was in repair for approximately 3 months in total. One repair took 4 weeks on its own.

Second Macbook Pro was purchased in 2007, a 2.2 C2D.

Again, developed logic board and screen problems. Instead of problems with the fans I had trouble with a HD instead. I also lost a lot of productivity with this one, I went approximately 2 months total without it. After several back-to-back repairs (newly installed replacement parts were faulty) I contacted Apple. After voicing my concern I was offered a replacement, which I graciously accepted.

Third Macbook Pro, 2.4 C2D.

This is the machine I'm using now. By the way, again, I really appreciate the replacement. When I received it I noticed a whining noise coming from the screen. I was considering calling again but after 2 weeks I figured out that lowering the brightness of the screen a few times made the whine go away, so I sucked it up. There is also a backlight leak, and the wifi performance isn't the greatest but oh well. Overall it was running great so I decided to not test my luck with a second exchange.

Now the graphic card is on it's way to heaven. This is the 9600, not the 9400. During graphic card intensive tasks (3D modeling, games and the such) the graphic card simply gives up and the machine crashes. I'd say this happens 10% of the time. This occurs in both OS X and Windows, using a variety of software.

This is the second email I send regarding this machine. The first one probably got buried in the inbox which I don't doubt is flooded.

What I'm looking/asking for:

I would really appreciate a 2nd replacement. However, I would prefer for it to be refurbished, rather than a new model. Several reasons:

- Would probably cost Apple less. Also since the new machines came out people are probably less interested in the "old" generation.

- By my understanding, refurbished machines go through a more intensive quality control check. Individually tested by a person and parts replaced if need be. This really is what I want. I want a machine that works. I'm tired of having to use my ancient pentium computer while my MBP is out for repair several weeks at a time. I'm tired of having to visit the repair center over and over and over again. And I'm tired of writing these emails to you, or phoning you, just as much as I'm sure you don't want to read or hear me complain ;-).

- Finally, if given the opportunity, I'll probably spend some money and upgrade. If this is not allowed, no problem. I just figure that the machine being refurbished, and me spending more money would make the request more reasonable (plus I wouldn't mind a faster machine).

Please feel free to contact me by email (preferred method) or at my cell phone ----

Thank you,
    -----

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Don't bother with this bit:
    It's of no interest to Apple that you sold your computer after 12 months.

Don't use "$$$" either...

3. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll replace $$$, thanks :)

About the first point, I get where you're coming from. I guess I didn't make my self clear. The sole reason why I sold the machine and that it was sold for so low was due to it's repair history.

Had it functioned as it should I would not have sold it to begin with.

If that's still a moot point I'll remove it.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

In that case keep it in, but explain that the resale value was lower because you were honest about it's repair history..

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I wouldn't advise asking for a replacement. They may just ignore your email as they may get hundreds of emails from people wanting free macs. Just make sure you emphasize how displeased you've been and the replacement should come your way. Also, I think Apple uses refurbished computers frequently when replacing (though not when dealing with a displeased customer).

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you don't have it anymore there is NOTHING they can do.

7. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, I've expanded on it. Thank you!

Hmm...that is a good point. Hook them in with a speech on displeasure and then ask for a replacement on the phone.

I do have it. I'm typing on it right now.