Advice regarding an issue with Mavericks on a 3 month old iMac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MatLane, Dec 22, 2013.

1. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I recently bought a brand new iMac 27 inch almost maxed out....and it has been a screamer...up until i installed mavericks when it first came out.

Not only permission hell..

It has became impossible to launch any program almost after logging in for 5 mins. As soon as i launch and app and use it for around 5 mins the whole system completely grinds to a halt...to the stage where you can't even force quit programs. It mainly happens on launching either safari or iTunes. If a song is playing the song will keeps stopping and starting as if I'm pressing the space bare continually. I have not got time over xmas to get this over to store in all honestly and i was wondering if there is something i can try and do at home to sort this issue out. I am a Music producer and need my system to meet deadlines with my own music and also other artists. I consider myself to be wizzy with the mac.. and i have tried all i know but its still occurring.

Has anyone else ever had this?

27' iMac 3.4 GHZ i7 16GBram 3tb Fusion

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try creating a new Administrator account and see if the issues continue?

I hate to recommend it but it sounds like something messed up with the upgrade and a clean install is probably recommended. I'd look to back up your data, wipe your computer and reinstall Mavericks.

You can do this by hitting the cmd-r key while booting up, select the Disk Utility to reformat your main drive and then install Mavericks.

I'm running OSX on a 2012 rMBP and I've not run into any of the issues you mention - good luck.

3. MatLane thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Thanks a lot!

I created a new account and did a little test by opening every application on the system and not 1 bit of lag what so ever

and seems to be running like it used too..

so i guess it's down to clean install now

Thanks for the advice!
    :apple:

----------

.....or can i just move everything over to the new admin account and delete the other can that be possible?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I would do :)