Advice regarding buying a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gazfocus, Nov 13, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm looking to buy a Mac Pro early next year and I was wondering a few things.

1. When is Snow Leopard expected to be released?
    2. Is the Mini DisplayPort likely to be appearing on the updated Mac Pros?
    3. If 2 happens, will there still be DVI ports on the updated Mac Pros?

I currently have a new 23" ACD that I am using with my PC until the new year comes and I am looking at buying a 2nd ACD (which it now appears I'm going to have to find one on ebay :( cuz Apple are silly), but I would possibly consider selling my 23" ACD and either getting 1 x 30" or 2 x 24" if necessary...just need to know what route to go down.

Also, any idea of possible specs?

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

No one really knows for sure, but in my opinion:

1. Late 2009
    2. Possible, but the last to migrate to the new standard as they are separate cards made by third parties
    3. It's unlikely both standards would be adopted as a displayport can be connected to DVI by an adaptor cable.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I've seen Q2 2009, Q3 and Q4 suggested.

That would require custom hardware rather than just different firmware and doesn't seem logical.

There are cards out there with both DisplayPort and D-DVI and this is what I'd expect to see from Apple.

They will be probably be similar to the current ones overall with just more power and newer processors, graphics cards, memory. We will likely see 2.66GHz processors as standard, 12 memory slots, 500GB drive as standard, Nvidia 9000 and ATI 4000 series cards. Nothing radical.

4. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks...I was hoping Snow Leopard would be earlier than late 2009 but nevermind...

Regarding the Mini Displayport, didn't SJ say that they would be building it into 'Every Mac'? I'm sure they could lean on the 3rd party manufacturers to include it...any advice on whether the LED displays are better than the 23" ACD?

Just out of interest, why do you think apple will reduce the speed of the standard spec from 2.8GHz to 2.66GHz?

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Based on the price list (Qty = 1000), Yes. The cost of the 2.8GHz part would be too expensive to use and keep the price near that of the current model.

6. liquid stereo macrumors regular

prognostications

1. I don't know. Maybe Summer 2009.
    2. Yes.
    3. I don't know.

One reason I decided to buy right now is that I like my ACD 23. I don't want to buy an adapter. ADC to DVI: Been there, done that.

(I also don't want to buy more expensive memory.)

7. djjclark macrumors regular

Would expect to have similar choices for video cards with the default using 2 mini displayports that with the right adapter can auto sense between displayport, DVI-D, and VGA output.

8. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

is DDR3 really that much more expensive?

9. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

As it seems to have changed with the latest round of MacBook Pros, you will have to buy a $30 adapter, regardless. Male DVI to (Fill in the blank).

No more free adaptors waiting to be discovered within their fancy packaging. That was always such a cool bonus. One I NEVER saw during my 20 years of PC purchasing.

Not that this will be the best route to take advantage of the new monitors. It will be interesting for those of us with '08 Mac Pros and earlier, making the transition to the new LED lineup. Will it be a battle as with earlier than '08 Mac Pros getting the 8800gt option?

Seems like they wouldn't want to leave all previous Pro users in the cold with the latest in monitor technology.

I do love my ACDs. If for nothing else, maybe the price or the 30" will come down enough for me to pull the trigger! When the new ones arrive:)

J

10. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Do you think that if Mac Pros come out with Displayport (or Mini Displayport) graphics cards, will older graphics cards be compatible (such as the 8800GT)?

11. liquid stereo macrumors regular

Triple channel DDR3

I don't know but it will be more than the current format.

12. Cosmoza macrumors member

Cosmoza

Most likely if Intel releases new processors as suggested in Q1/09, they'd found their way to MacPro's during Q2/09.

I'm looking into buying used MacPro before end of January 2009, so i wish they'd come earlier and lower the price (if so) of used MacPro's.

13. djjclark macrumors regular

Based on what apple has done in the past I would say any new Apple card has a chance of only working in the newest pro while the older cards should still work, however there was enough stink last time they eventually made a compatible card. I would think you would have a few options with non apple cards at that time though.