Advice regarding purchasing a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by markiv810, Sep 26, 2010.

1. markiv810 macrumors regular

I need to buy a computer that my mom can use without having to sit at the table, I was thinking of iPad as it is quite portable but lacks camera and would not compare to Mac mini in terms of performance. The new Mac Mini has HDMI port and hence can be hooked onto an LED TV, anyone try that out. How do the fonts and icons look on the LED/LCD display in case someone has tried it out. The farthest end of my Mom's bed would be around 8-9 feet from the TV (I have not measured it). Please advice, thanks in advance.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Wouldn't a MacBook be better? TVs are not very good as monitors, especially if she wants to surf on the net and read email (i.e. stuff that needs reading text) as the text can be quite small and blurry. MacBook goes for as low as 759$ in refurb store, that's quite decent deal. That way she can move it easily and even use it on bed and hook to the TV if needed

3. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I am also think about the Macbook as a second option. My mom is not used to computers, Mac would be her first. Trackpad actually might be more comfortable compared to a mouse, or maybe the iPad might be a better choice for a beginner. My mom is not comfortable using the mouse, trackpad even though is easier cannot be better than pointing finger directly to the app to be used imo.

4. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I'm not sure if this will help you, but... My mom is disabled and it's hard for her to use her hands and fingers. I convinced my dad to get her an iPad, and she LOVES it. It's a little harder for her to use than for most people, but it's easier for her than using a mouse or trackpad (which she can't do too well).

5. filfortugno macrumors regular

depends

if all she does is browse, than ipad might be a good solution. But if she's like my mom and loves internet radio, flashed-based games like solitaire 3D or whatnot, than perhaps a macbook would be good. Def. do not use a led tv as a monitor, its quite hard on the eyes.(i used a 55" 1080p LED TV)

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'd say a macbook would be the best, an iPad would probably work ok as well.

7. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice guys, I asked my Mom regarding this and she is inclining towards the iPad because of the weight and mom needs it only to browse the web, check emails and listen to some of her music. The only problem with the iPad is that we are in India and it has not been launched till now, would have to wait till November for the iPad. Second revision iPad would have been a better choice though, I could have taught her how to use FaceTime. Thanks guys.

Edit: There are rumors of camera equipped iPad, so should wait for it.

8. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice guys, I am going to purchase the MacBook and maybe next year get second generation iPad (iPad with a camera).

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Macbook Air would be lightweight and it has a camera and track pad.

10. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah the macbook or macbook air would be a good choice. Also if just for basic computer usage the iPad would be perfect! [​IMG]

11. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Get her a refurb base macbook...it will be better than the ipad...

and also don't forget the apple care :cool: