Advice regarding storage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kashika, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Kashika macrumors regular

I currently use two external hdd's (1,5 TB and 1 TB) with my PC (don't have my mac yet), which are both formatted to NTFS.

My mac won't support NTFS natively and I found out that the applications that let it support NTFS aren't perfect. Since I'm using one of my hdd's for time machine, I don't think that NTFS is a smart move.

Sadly my 1,5 TB is full at the moment, mostly with movies. The other is 40% full. I am unable of emptying either of them properly.
    So this caught my attention: Seagate's GOFLEX 1 TB external HDD
    Is this a good option, because of it's native ability to support mac and pc, while using NTFS? That includes usage of time machine as backup, on that particular drive.
    Or should I try and empty my 1 TB HDD (copy everything to my mac and back again), make a partition for OSX and use that? I'm a bit sceptical about this, because I know that switching between windows and OSX will be done frequently.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Time Machine only works with HFS+. NTFS is readable by OS X but for the best compatibility, you will want something else. FAT32 is supported natively by both OSs but its 4GB file size limit is problematic. If you have Windows 7, then exFAT should be a good option (no 4GB limit).

I would get a new drive solely for backups because HDs are pretty cheap now. Saves the hassle of playing around with formats. Just format it to HFS+ and use it solely with your Mac.

3. cube macrumors G5

4. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

The goflex seems like a good choice then. Format that to HFS+ and it should play nice with windows. I've got XP myself, but other PC's are using windows 7 indeed.

5. cube macrumors G5

You need to buy a driver to use HFS+ on Windows.