Advice request: Changing dad's PC Quicken / bank check printing setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phillytim, Oct 11, 2012.

1. phillytim, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Greetings! My dad has had a PC since the mid-90s to print his bank checks at home from his Quicken Deluxe transactions (which interface into his bank to manage his accounts). He has a small-town bank that does not have it's own app, like PNC/Citizens/etc. do. He has an HP OfficeJet printer that allows AirPrint.

Admittedly, he really only sends out an occasional check, as he pays his bills online through one of the on-line bill payer components. Perhaps he could get away from check printing, the possibility does exist.

Is there a better, easier way to do all that with his iPhone, or my mom's iPad, rather than have the elaborate, complex PC setup that he has now?

What might those ways/possibilities be? Thoughts?

2. phillytim thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillytim

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

No need to bump this thread. I read it the first time and I couldn't think of anything. He has software that prints checks that only runs on windows. There is no path forward (other than windows running in a virtualbox or parallels) unless he is willing to give up that check printing setup.

Once he has made that decision, he can get a Mac mini computer and there are a variety of options open to him other than Quicken. I remember hearing the OSX version of Quicken hasn't been updated in a long time. I don't recommend a tablet as an "only" computer and that's why I recommend a Mac mini for him.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

There is a newer version of Quicken for the Mac called "Quicken Essentials" (or something like that, I don't have the app).

If you visit macintouch.com, there is an EXTENSIVE discussion regarding Quicken (may even have its own topic in the "reader reports" area). You could probably find out more there.

If your dad is thinking of "going Mac", he might consider the other financial apps out there, as well. If he has a lot of older files in Quicken, he might keep two apps around (one for viewing older files, and a newer one for going forward). Then again, if it's only a very few checks per month, he could just write 'em out "the old fashioned way". That's what I still do...