Advice Request: Take the Free iPhone 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CocktailHour, Aug 4, 2014.

1. CocktailHour macrumors newbie

Hi. Sprint just told me that they'll give me a "free" 16GB iPhone 5S if I want. Of course, I put free in quotes because they will require I sign another 2 year contract with them. But I can keep my iPhone 4S if I want.

As we all know, the new iPhone will ship in Sept or Oct, so I'm mulling it over. I don't have a lot of money… May I please have your opinions? I don't want Verizon, could go to AT&T, I suppose, but Sprint has been a bit cheaper. I live in San Francisco, in case you want to mention reception.

What do you all think? Thank you!

2. dtommyd macrumors newbie

Got one too

I got the same text today. Sounds like your up for your 2 yr renewal too. I'm also considering it. We have a grandfathered in family plan that's unlimited. They kept trying to get me into their lame "framily" plan. They tell me I've never gone over my data plan which is pretty understandable since their 3G network sucks so bad. When I get 4g I'm gonna stream netflix for a month straight!
    I'm personally going to wait for the 6 because I actually want a bigger version of the iphone. I also want more than 16gb and plan on doing more labor intensive things like editing video on it. If I'm going to carry something around for the next 2 years I want the latest/best model. The 5s is more than capable to do everything I need today but the $200 isn't a big factor for me (today anyway).

Also consider that once you get your new phone (5s or 6) you'll be able to have them unlock it and sell it on ebay for $125-175 (4s). If you get the free one, you'd be $150 richer. Or you could spend $50 for the 6. Depends on how you look at it.
    It's not like the 5s is obsolete come September. They'll support it for the next 4 years or so. If your not a power user I'd get the 5s. Having the second best iphone is still pretty great.

3. CocktailHour thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Yes, my biggest objection is screen size. Apple's behind the curve on this one. I don't need the latest and greatest (or I'd have obviously upgraded sooner), but I actually have published both video and photos (and been paid for it) using just the 4S. Whichever I get, I'll keep it for 2 years minimum, probably longer.

4. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

In 6 weeks when the iPhone 6 is released will you be happy you have the 5S or will you already be tired of it and want the "new" phone. Most people would wait but obviously not all.

5. CocktailHour thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that is the question. Save $200+ and get a really good phone, or wait? I'd lean toward cheap, but I do want a larger screen, so I lean toward the new one except for one thing: I'm thinking they'll have one with the same size screen for $200 with a 2-year contract, but the one with the larger screen will be even more.

6. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

If you're really not sure you have nothing to lose by waiting. Highly doubtful they'd raise the price on the 5S once the 6 comes out.

7. Belmont31R macrumors 6502

Sprint is terrible for resale and coverage. Of the 4 major carriers they are the worst to resale phones. With the iPhone 5 I sold it for $320 on AT&T bought a full price 5S which is unlocked. Cost me around $150 more than s subsidized phone but you can switch plans/carriers at will and take your phone overseas with s local pre paid SIM for far cheaper than any US carrier international rates.

Having an unlocked GSM phone will open up a ton of options and save you money. Don't play the carrier contract game with locked phones and poor resale.