Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Hi all,

As I start to face issues with my 2009 Mac Pro (screen dying) etc, I am looking at my options moving forward. One of my options is to upgrade my Mac to a new one.

I am a web designer, developer and graphic designer. I also DJ, make music in Ableton etc.

I have been using a 2009 Mac Pro that's been heavily upgraded and it's been a fantastic machine to date. It's STILL fast enough for what I need it for.

But I would definitely like to upgrade so I can make use of newer technology like Thunderbolt etc. The question is:

Which should I get:

6 Core Mac Pro, D700, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Dual Displays ~$9000 AUD
This will last me longer, but it's a huge investment and may be more power than I really need?

27" iMac, 3.5GHz i7, 32GB RAM, GeForce 780M, 1TB SSD ~$4600 AUD
Probably won't last as long, but it's half the price, and also happens to be a generation ahead in CPU design, but only 4 cores.

I'm sure many people have been faced with the same conundrum.

Scott

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Wow! With your current machine, are you sure you don't want to just upgrade your displays and continue using your machine. Nothing you've listed is going to be much of an upgrade.

On the other hand, I can understand the itch to upgrade :D

Get the 6 core pro with 1 TB HD, but stick to the D300s. Nothing you're doing requires top of the line video card usage. If you're thinking a 27" iMac is good enough monitor space, why not get a used 30" ACD for $500 and call it good.

thesimplelogic

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2014
Wow! With your current machine, are you sure you don't want to just upgrade your displays and continue using your machine. Nothing you've listed is going to be much of an upgrade.

On the other hand, I can understand the itch to upgrade :D

Get the 6 core pro with 1 TB HD, but stick to the D300s. Nothing you're doing requires top of the line video card usage. If you're thinking a 27" iMac is good enough monitor space, why not get a used 30" ACD for $500 and call it good.

I'd definitely agree with this!

leon771

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
Australia
Keep existing set up. I've see your PC on Mactalk and I have the same system as you, except for the Sonnet Tempo. I can't see why you just don't replace the faulty 24" monitor and keep using the machine.

What specifically do you want thunderbolt for?

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Keep existing set up. I've see your PC on Mactalk and I have the same system as you, except for the Sonnet Tempo. I can't see why you just don't replace the faulty 24" monitor and keep using the machine.

What specifically do you want thunderbolt for?

Thanks Leon.

I wouldn't mind buying a new display or pair of them, but Apple doesn't sell any displays that work with my Mac Pro. I guess I could buy another 24" LED Display 2nd hand. I definitely want both monitors to be the same make/model.

I mean, I'd be happy with a single 27" display, but I can't buy one. Apple stopped selling the non-thunderbolt model a while back :(

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
I mean, I'd be happy with a single 27" display, but I can't buy one. Apple stopped selling the non-thunderbolt model a while back :(
There are plenty of 27" monitors out there that will work just fine and are every bit as nice as the Apple display for half the price...

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
I have the Gigabyte GeForce 660 Ti Overlocked Edition 2GB
Saw the 660 in your sig...
(have you confirmed there is in fact something wrong with your display and not an issue with the video card?)

I agree with the others, with the machine you have now I don't think you are going to see a significant improvement going to a 6 core nMP or iMac. if you want external drive space, add an esata port and a drive dock. Only drawback vs thunderbolt is it won't be hot-swappable.

As far as monitors, I don't know what is specifically available in your neck of the woods, but you can get cheap 27" Korean imports that will connect via DVI, or you can spend a bit more and get something with display port and/or something from a more reputable manufacturer.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
if its just an apple display you want, check the store.apple.com refurb section for the LED Display 27" - thats the one you'd be looking for. or find a better deal on amazon or ebay for one.
at least with the refurb store there is a warranty to be had.

Also if you're having issues with displays...I'd go against the iMac. considering it is an all-in-one, if the display started exhibiting issues you're out both a display and computer.

Either stick with the Mac Pro you have and get the display you'd like...or get one of the baseline new MacPros. either option are fully suitable replacements.

Last edited:

Mactrunk

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Yes, indeed...
If it's just the monitor you need, there are many great, cheap, options that are equal or better to Apple.

You said the machine was plenty fast for what you are doing.
Geeze for $1000 or less, you could get a smoking 30" monitor.

That being said, I do understand the inclination toward upgrading.
At this point, I wouldn't invest in either an iMac or the new Mac Pro.

pcd109

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
Hi all,

As I start to face issues with my 2009 Mac Pro (screen dying) etc, I am looking at my options moving forward. One of my options is to upgrade my Mac to a new one.

I am a web designer, developer and graphic designer. I also DJ, make music in Ableton etc.

I have been using a 2009 Mac Pro that's been heavily upgraded and it's been a fantastic machine to date. It's STILL fast enough for what I need it for.

But I would definitely like to upgrade so I can make use of newer technology like Thunderbolt etc. The question is:

Which should I get:

This will last me longer, but it's a huge investment and may be more power than I really need?

Probably won't last as long, but it's half the price, and also happens to be a generation ahead in CPU design, but only 4 cores.

Scott

First i do 3d and graphic design so i can only help with that portion. Your mac looks plenty powerful to me for start. In your place i would check the gear to see if it's not the video card(maybe put an officially supported apple card like ATI7970?).
Second, if you still want to upgrade i would not purchase SSD and RAM from Apple. Under no circumstances iMac for pro use; they can't sustain prolonged rendering heavy cpu/gpu use because of very bad thermal. Go for MacPro, D700(future proof) and 256 SSD(you can use your existing 840's on external usb/tb2 enclosure and call it a day). Also put the 8 core cpu and you are way under 9k -7829AU. If you add 512Gb internal it will only be like 8189AU. This configuration will obliterate your current mac(or imac for that matter) out of the water in both single and multi core usage. But in day to day usage you may not notice that big of a difference(unless you do rendering/3d/heavy graphics). Again, if you don't use 3d rendering and heavy scenes i will not upgrade from your configuration for at least 1-2 more years.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Couldn't disagree more.

I also think you should just invest in a monitor upgrade, given your current specs. Unless you just like parting with money.

Your machine still has value, there is no hurray to upgrade to MP. Wait for one more iteration at least, if not more, before making that move. You will not see any performance gain at this point, only a smaller bank balance.

I also don't agree about the no pro apps ever comment re the iMac. The top spec 27 with a 3.5ghz is a screaming machine, which outperforms the nMP on things like xplane 10. That being said, I would not spend that kind of money going down that road myself.

The monitor market is full of ever increasing options, and the thunderbolt displays currently are not that compelling, unless they release a new product there is no point making this change for Thunderbolt.

My 2 cents.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi all,

Which should I get:

Scott

I share the same sentiments with the other members' comments here. I am also using the same Mac Pro model as yours. With 680GTX GPU but I am still using mechanical HDs without SSDs. Sometimes I alternate the GPU to the old GTX285. I work with heavy print graphic, web design and AE Rendering and so far my machine does the job well. Apps still open quick and crisps. But eventually I will get SSD. It's just not that too urgent for me for now since with mechanical HDs the job still gets things done.

Also consider the timing of the purchase at this year. $9000 AUD is big and you'll need to think it over many times before spending that much money. The feedbacks I get from other business owners is that 2014 was a slow year in business that 2012, 2013 was better. Though may depend on location. There's also the factor of an updated new Mac Pro over the horizon. You'll probably want to wait and find out if the update comes out.

I also see used non-TB Apple Cinema Displays being sold or other brands. For now I think it's the best option.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Couldn't disagree more.

I also think you should just invest in a monitor upgrade, given your current specs. Unless you just like parting with money.

Your machine still has value, there is no hurray to upgrade to MP. Wait for one more iteration at least, if not more, before making that move. You will not see any performance gain at this point, only a smaller bank balance.

I also don't agree about the no pro apps ever comment re the iMac. The top spec 27 with a 3.5ghz is a screaming machine, which outperforms the nMP on things like xplane 10. That being said, I would not spend that kind of money going down that road myself.

The monitor market is full of ever increasing options, and the thunderbolt displays currently are not that compelling, unless they release a new product there is no point making this change for Thunderbolt.

My 2 cents.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the responses and the grounded suggestions.

You're right. All I need is a new display. For me, since I run two IDENTICAL 24" LED Displays from Apple, and one dying, I would want to replace both so that I can maintain having two identical displays.

However I came across an amazing new display from LG which is a 21:9 ratio 3440 x 1440 display. It's perfect in every way for me, and it costs just a hair over that of the Thunderbolt display from Apple (which is of no use to me since I have no TB on my Mac Pro).

http://www.lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-34UM95

The frustrating thing is that LG display has been recalled due to a backlight issue and won't be available until August/September some time.

So, the smartest thing to at this point in time is to wait. I will just make do with the single working 24" display until this LG solution is a possibility.

My machine is still incredibly fast and responsive. And like most of you say, even the newest nMP or iMac isn't really going to offer me any substantial day to day improvement. Although some power savings would be nice as my electricity bill is pretty nasty with my Mac Pro on 24/7. :D

----------

I share the same sentiments with the other members' comments here. I am also using the same Mac Pro model as yours. With 680GTX GPU but I am still using mechanical HDs without SSDs.

I cannot stress enough how much of a difference SSD's make to our machine. Seriously go out right now and grab yourself the Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro and whack 1 or 2 SSD's on it. The difference will hurtle your machine into the future :)

nox-uk

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2012
Aoc and Dell are bringing one out too. I'm also waiting for the screen issue to settle down, and I'll go from there. The AOC looks to be cheaper, (500 vs 800 from what I've read) but no thunderbolt. I currently have a 2010 so can't use thunderbolt, but going forward I'll definitely be greeting a thunderbolt equipped something next time.

Decisions

Nox

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the responses and the grounded suggestions.

[/COLOR]

I cannot stress enough how much of a difference SSD's make to our machine. Seriously go out right now and grab yourself the Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro and whack 1 or 2 SSD's on it. The difference will hurtle your machine into the future :)

Very True. :) SSDs are faster. I did have a chance to experience its speed as sometimes I get to use the Mac Pros in the office of my client whenever he wanted me to edit a file on his machines. He had SSDs in them. I have a problem collecting payment from a client so I had to defer my plan of getting a Sonnet Tempo Pro for now. I guess nowadays, I have to factor in the current business situation before making purchases.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks Leon.

I wouldn't mind buying a new display or pair of them, but Apple doesn't sell any displays that work with my Mac Pro. I guess I could buy another 24" LED Display 2nd hand. I definitely want both monitors to be the same make/model.

Keep in mind that 2 different displays of different ages/usage may be further from a match than you think. These things can drift in different manners.

You're right. All I need is a new display. For me, since I run two IDENTICAL 24" LED Displays from Apple, and one dying, I would want to replace both so that I can maintain having two identical displays.

However I came across an amazing new display from LG which is a 21:9 ratio 3440 x 1440 display. It's perfect in every way for me, and it costs just a hair over that of the Thunderbolt display from Apple (which is of no use to me since I have no TB on my Mac Pro).

http://www.lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-34UM95

The frustrating thing is that LG display has been recalled due to a backlight issue and won't be available until August/September some time.

So, the smartest thing to at this point in time is to wait. I will just make do with the single working 24" display until this LG solution is a possibility.

My machine is still incredibly fast and responsive. And like most of you say, even the newest nMP or iMac isn't really going to offer me any substantial day to day improvement. Although some power savings would be nice as my electricity bill is pretty nasty with my Mac Pro on 24/7. :D

Well my concern would be that I don't think your current mac pro gpu drivers support that resolution. If you went with the mac pro, I'm not sure you would need to upgrade it all the way. Nothing you mentioned would really stress even the base model. As you mentioned your 2009 one still does the job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.