Advice - Return or keep?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Link2999, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Okay, so overall my new iPod Touch is in great condition, but never the less there are a couple of things wrong with it. The biggest thing wrong is the screen has a yellow tint (not too uncommon when dealing with Apple products) on the top 1/2 inch of the screen. It's somewhat noticeable when looking at whites, but other than that I think it's fine (not a pronounced yellow, it's just not as bright of a white). The second thing I noticed is when recording video in a silent setting, microphone distortion is clearly heard. This being said however, areas with the slightest bit of noise helps out the video a lot. The reason I'm hesitant to exchange the thing is I'm afraid I'll get a worse one (it has happened to me). I would rather deal with a small amount of yellow tint than a dead pixel. I think it's also worth noting that I haven't experienced the clicking noise when recording video with the WiFi on, so that's a plus. If I did return it though, would they give me a new, sealed-in-box iPod, or would it be a refurb?

2. 184550 Guest

Doesn't Apple usually use return models that have been fixed as refurbs?

I don't think that there has been enough turn around time yet to have fixed and then shipped back out refurbs for exchanges. You'd most likely get a new unit.

Personally, I'd return it.

3. TheRealVertical macrumors newbie

4. Warbitrary macrumors regular

When the iPhone came out, there was a short-lived panic about yellow screens. It turns out the glue between the LCD and the front glass is not perfectly transparent until it's completely dry. You could wait a few days to see if the yellow goes away.

5. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds good, I don't feel the need to rush to the Apple store (30 minute drive) right away so I'll play with it for a good week or so and see how it works out.

6. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

I just exchanged a 64GB unit with a light leak for one with stuck pixels only noticeable at close range on black. Like you, I'm afraid of getting one even worse. Dealing with two hard to see stuck pixels is better then a gap between the glass/bezel.

If the yellow tint is really distracting I'd say take it back. Apple will give you a brand new one within 14 days, most retailers give 30. You pay a premium for Apple products and they should meet your standards, good luck.

7. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, I'd be testing it in-store before I leave (I'll bring my MBP with me, needs an adjustment anyways), so if the tint doesn't leave I may need to swap out 2 or 3 in-store (I'm sure they're gonna like that).

8. cityathrt macrumors regular

Are you absolutely sure you don't have the clicking? It's very subtle bu constantly in the background. I didn't hear it myself until I held it up to my ear.

9. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

I turned my volume up all the way in a dead silent room, all I could here was the distortion. Maybe if I recorded somewhere with a little more sound. But, I would also like to know if there's distortion on your guys end too. I just recorded a 10second video when I woke up (house was completely silent, and I wasn't moving).