Advice/Review of speech recognition software ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aniej, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I am looking at getting some speech recognition software for my MBP due to the huge amount of word processing and email I have to do, but really do not know what is out there and what I should be looking for/staying away from.

If you have some experience with software like this, either pro or con, I could sure use some advice on where to look for this purchase. Thanks.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Are you looking for something to turn your dictation to text or something to control a word processor and e-mail client?

I've found that unless you're a crap typist, typing is a lot quicker than dictation.

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

I agree it is quicker, it is just when I am editing drafts or tired or just don't want to type anymore that this would be very useful. It is for word processing and for email. I want to speak the words and have them entered as text directly into the document, I am not looking for separate dictation.

4. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

anyone have some advice on this other than the generic comment above?

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Your options include iListen and viaVoice. Reviews at the links. More reviews at Amazon.

There are some things you should be aware of:

1. You have to like dictating. I find talking more exhausting than typing, and I don't like "thinking out loud".

2. All of these systems require training and none of them are perfect. The best I've ever experienced was in the low 90's percent correct. Correcting mistakes can be a pain too.

As I say, I don't like dictating. However, I've set up people who do and most find the process worth it. Good luck.

6. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

thanks very much. might i ask which one of these was the one that you found to be in the 90% range?