Advice Reviving an Old Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by charlieegan3, Jul 14, 2013.

1. charlieegan3, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I've got a summer job at an IT repair centre, we mainly fix virus-ridden toshitbas and HP's with broken screens. Anyway, basically I found a broken macbook amongst all the junk as I was tidying up. I asked if I could take it home to have a go at repairing it (on my own time - it was headed for the bin).

So it's clearly got issues. This is how it goes:

Pressing the power button boots the machine, there's the grey apple and after some time a blue screen.

It then switches between the blue screen and a blue screen with a little spinner, endlessly.

I can hold alt and get into boot options but it must be too old to have the Apple HW test built in - so I can't run that.

I don't the have install media, I only have a 10.4 disk, and a 10.8 bootable usb.

It doesn't boot from a windows bootable CD either.

Any ideas on what to try next?

2. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Since it shows the boot menu when you hold 'alt and sees the harddrive, it is fully functioning. The fact that it does not boot all the way to the desktop could be either a bad install on the drive or a bad drive itself.

I'd suggest getting a new hard drive (since the existing one is old anyway) and install this. When doing this, you can get a 128GB Samsung 840 SSD for less than $100. When this is done, you have to find a bootable 10.6 or 10.7 USB since this will give you the best chance of success. It works for sure.

I have fixed up so many of these white MacBooks. They never die by themselves. Never. (actually just revived a 2008 white macbook that was ought to be completely dead after a coffee spill. Corrosion was bad but i managed to remove it.)

So, analysis shows:

1. Either corrupt install on the HD or a bad HD.
    2. When holding "alt", it gets to the boot menu successfully.

Suggested solution:

1. BUY NEW HD!!

3. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I'll try a spare and see what happens.

Thanks for the response. Cheers.