Advice Selling 13" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PTVMan, Dec 8, 2014.

1. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded to a MacBook Pro from a mid-13 13-inch MacBook Air with 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM - it's in immaculate condition. I listed the MBA on Craigslist for $900 and have not gotten any bites. I looked on eBay and other sites and thought $900 was a good price starting point. Any suggestions/ideas of what I should be asking for or can expect?

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

In my experiences selling electronics (computers, smartphones etc) on Craigslist it really depends on what else is out there and is anyone selling one similar to yours and if so, how much are they asking.

Your location has a lot to do with it too. You have to live in a market where someone would be looking to spend 900 bucks on a computer. If you live in a decent sized city or an affluent area, you should have no problems. If you live in a smaller town like I used to, then you won't have any interest. It usually isn't that you've priced it wrong, its just a lack of people looking for what you are selling.

You could try dropping the price a bit but chances are if you don't have any buyers out there at 900, you probably wouldn't have them at 800 either. It was my experience on more expensive items like Mac's, there just weren't a lot of people with that kind of money to spend in my town. YMMV.

3. motrek macrumors 68020

Well, one question is, is anybody buying these machines for $900 or is that just what the sellers want for them?

Just because you see somebody trying to sell something for $900 doesn't mean that's what it's worth.

And as with selling anything, you need to make sure you have good pictures of that thing. Don't assume everybody who looks at your ad already knows all about MBAs. I sold my 2010 MBA to somebody who was shocked to find out how small and thin it actually was--he had never held one personally. I was startled since I just assumed everybody went to the Apple Store once in a while to check out the products but I guess not. So if I were to sell it again, I'd make sure to take some pictures showing its size relative to other common things and maybe some other laptops if you have those handy.

4. SusanK macrumors 68000

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

While CL will save the fees, the buying audience is MUCH smaller when compared to eBay. It might take more time and posting in a larger city, near by, on CL can increase your chances.

6. RobbyIdol macrumors regular

Market is everything. I sold a Macbook Pro 13" a couple years ago. At the time of listing, I was living in an economically poorer area, so I had almost no attention on Craigslist. Upon moving to a more affluent area full of college students, I had lots of bites, albeit most were intentionally low-balling my asking price.

And like someone else said, just because you see active ads for computers at $900 (or higher) doesn't mean the seller will ultimately move it at that price.

7. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for the advice and insight! It sure helps.