Advice sought from wise mac users

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by moconnor4, Mar 12, 2008.

1. moconnor4 macrumors newbie

Here's my situation:

My dilemma is twofold.

1- My ibook G4's screen got broken when it was knocked over. I have had this computer for about 4 years so it has a lot of files that are irreplaceable and I would like to retrieve. What is the best way to do so? Is target disk mode available without a duel-ended fire wire cord? What's the best device to store all these files on? Cd's?

2- Since my old computer is unusable, I am looking for a new one, but my price range is limited. Does anyone have any thrifty recommendations for me? (I want to stay in the mac world of course.) I also considered the mac mini, but wasn't sure what the consensus on these machines was.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and as you can tell, I'm not extremely computer literate, so if you could be as detailed as possible with any advice/instructions it would help me out a lot. Thanks!

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

You could use an external monitor with the laptop, if you have one. You just turn the computer on, close the lid, with the external screen connected it will boot using it as its primary display.

Mac Mini's are great. I had one before I bought my MBP. I loved that little thing, it served me very well for two years before I parted with it (funded the MBP purchase).

But if you're looking at keeping things cheap, and there's nothing else wrong with the ibook, just hook up an external display, keyboard and mouse, and you're set.

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I agree. Unless you still need the iBook's portability, I'd just get an external screen. If you want to replace it, you could go for a low-end Macbook.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm not sure the iBook G4 supports closed-lid mode, but you can definitely use it with the lid open, assuming the monitor's the only thing broken. Why not borrow a monitor and see? You wouldn't even need an extra mouse and keyboard.

If you're on a budget, the advice to buy an external monitor is good. You can get CRT monitors dirt cheap on Craigslist. I found one for $25 a while back.

The next thing you'll want is some sort of BACKUP system, which you should have had in the first place -- an external hard drive is easiest, and they can be found for under $100. Firewire is best, but USB2 will do.

If you'd like a new computer and don't need a portable, I think the iMac is a better value than the mini, which still requires a separate display, keyboard, and mouse. You can get a refurb iMac with a 20-inch display for $999. With a backup HD, your cost would be about $1100. Or you could backup your critical files using the built-in superdrive.

5. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

He's right, I'm not sure either... but it's still worth a shot. If it doesn't work, at least you took the chance

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I'm quite certain that the iBook G4 can operate with the screen closed.

7. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

Do you have to be a wise Mac user?

Or can you be: a wise, Mac user?

Either way I don't match the specifications.

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

No. The iBook will not work with the screen closed *unless* you have already enabled Clamshell mode in the Screen Spanning Doctor, which I will assume the OP has not. Regardless, just plug in a separate monitor with the iBook open and it will boot using Screen Mirroring.

Target mode for the iBook is a great idea and will work only with a 6pin-6pin firewire cable and another Mac. Then back up your files. I would recommend saving files on a DVD or another HD. My vote for a new Mac is a 20" iMac (best bang for buck). It might be slightly expensive, but it really will last you.

9. moconnor4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, and more question about monitors.

It sounds like my cheapest option is to get another monitor. Does anyone have any advice as to what kind i should look for?
    What cords do I need to connect my old computer to the new monitor?
    Once these cords are plugged into the monitor and old computer, will the monitor automatically act as the computer's new display?

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Your computer should have come with a mini-VGA to VGA adapter. If it didn't, or you lost it, you'll have to buy one for $19. Then you'll be able to connect to your monitor's VGA cable.

Once you've got the adapter installed, just plug it in and it should work.

11. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

At least try to get a flat CRT...something like w/ a trinitron tube or the like.

Not your standard curved screen ones. You can find them for cheap.