Advice sought - Mac Pro now or wait for SL?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ruggerjvd, May 1, 2009.

1. ruggerjvd macrumors newbie

Hello, and thanks for reading.

Basic question, I will be buying a mac pro, but was holding off until SL was available. Too many times I've made a purchase right before a significant upgrade of the OS, so had to shell out extra bucks right after buying the hardware.

FWIW, I am running a 2001 MDD with 10.2.8, so you can appreciate that I am anxious to upgrade. Due to Apple's secrecy and prices, I hold off on new purchases for as long as possible.

Recent lurking looks like SL is put off until September or so, sorta a long ways out.

One would think Apple would cut purchasers of new MP's a break and let them upgrade for free, but hey, this is Apple, after all.

So opinions and comments welcome.

thank you

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you really needed it now you'd already have it. Keep waiting.

3. LrdFarquad macrumors newbie

I would probably wait for WWDC to see if the pro's get a speed bump or anything. I find it a tad odd that I am unable to configure an Eight core mac pro in the apple store. Are they sold out, or making changes? Hmmm

4. Abidubi macrumors 6502

By too many times do you mean twice in the past 20 years?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're using Internet Explorer on a PC. Nothing has changed, and nothing will change for WWDC.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

7. danny_w macrumors 601

Actually I always prefer to buy a new Mac toward the end of development on an os version and before the release of the new version. The problem is that usually (unless you buy during the short time after announcement and before they start shipping the new release installed) you cannot install an earlier release of the os, and IMHO every new release will have far too many bugs to be really useful until at least the .2 or .3 release. This means that you will have a very unsatisfactory experience until the new os becomes stable. To me that is worth the small cost of the new os (esp. if you are buying a mac Pro, $129 is trivial). I have only been through 2 new releases so far (my first Mac came with Panther) but IMHO both Tiger and Leopard were far too buggy for my taste until several point releases into the new os.

8. LrdFarquad macrumors newbie

Thanks for pointing that out. What is your point? I know a few fun facts as well. Do you work for apple? no. Do you know what is happening for WWDC? no.

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

That's the reason why the 8-core Mac Pro sometimes "vanishes" from the store ;)

Because of Internet Explorer.

10. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Asking gives it all away, as Eidorian says, if you needed it you wouldn't be asking if you needed it.

OR...

If you need it now get it now, if you don't then wait until you do, if you don't know if you need it or not then you don't, and if you DO know if you need it or not then see the beginning of this sentence.

For the experienced answer: NO you don't need it right now and you should wait for Snow Leopard even if it comes out in late October.... wait for Snow Leopard.

11. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't wait much longer - wait to see what WWDC brings then get your Mac Pro ;) Snow Leopard - as great as it will be no doubt, will probably be best to hold off until 10.6.1 or 10.6.2 is available before jumping in. Call me cautious. :)

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hey, stop being a jerk because I know what is wrong with your computer. :confused:

How do you know that I don't work for Apple? How do you know that I don't know what is happening at WWDC?

The events of WWDC are obvious.

13. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Hey Tallest Skil..
    We do appreciate your many contributions to the forum..

Though it looks like your getting your panties in a knot every time someone asks about the next update on the Mac Pro and whether it could be this year.. Relax a little.. sooner or later your new Mac Pro won't be the newest.. live with it.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I couldn't care less. I really, really couldn't. Tech changes. I don't care.

"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks, but it was obsolete before I opened the box!"
    –Weird Al Yankovic

What I care about is people who are too lazy to type ONE word into Google to find out that it is impossible for hardware updates to happen anymore this year, as no new chips will even exist until next year.

15. LrdFarquad macrumors newbie

Yeah, I use macs and windows and linux and other OSs. Who cares? From reading your past posts, you seem to enjoy being a general prick to everyone, so how about you just ignore me, I will ignore you, and everything will be swell. Thanks. /thread

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I would be too if I dropped $6k on a computer. ;)

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Your still forgetting that there is a higher clocked version of the Nehalem Xeons.

Since its not "early technology release" anymore, Apple can easily bump up the Mac Pro's processor line while keeping the price the same.

Now I'm not saying that it'll definitely 100% happen but I wouldnt rule it out either.

That would be nice a 2.93GHz 8 core Mac Pro being the new midrange model + with Snow Leopard shipped together.

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, I won't ignore you at all, but there's an "Add this user to your Ignore List" feature that you might be interested in.

My only qualm with that is that why would they have not used them in the first place? Apple has never not gone for the fastest chips previously, and they have gotten Xeons early before.

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The problem with this logic is one could buy a piece of machinery today, be productive on it for a while, but then a month later the machine might be outdated by something that would double the speed of your workflow. You could have waited just one month and saved yourself months and months of work in the long run.

20. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Your too funny..

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

They didnt use the faster clocked Xeon 8 core CPU because it didnt exist.

Apple was probably lucky or part of their remaining deal with Intel to even get the new Nehalem line early as they did. Even though they had to charge a steep price for early adoption.

Now that its all officially released, especially with other companies having selling them I dont see why not that Apple could bump up the specs to the respectable level for the price.

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Are you talking about Gainestown's 3.2 or Clovertown's 3.0?

The 3.2 Gainestown existed at the current Mac Pro's launch, just as much as the other pre-release chips existed.

23. LrdFarquad macrumors newbie

This is true, you can get this waiting mindset and never buy anything. I would say for the general newbie, or first time mac buyer, it's a good idea to wait for something as big as the WWDC, seeing as how they have waited this long already. For a pro user, the "buy it now logic" works better. Eh, what the hell do I know, I am using Internet Explorer on a PC. :rolleyes:

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Could you show me some proof that it existed? To my knowledge the 3.2GHz model wasnt even produced until the official release of the lower end Nehalem models.

Even if you were right maybe the early release of the 3.2GHz would cost way too much on top of the 2.93GHz 8 core model for Apple to even consider it.

But in June when the prices shift the 3.2GHz could easily be charged the same price as the top of the line 2.93Ghz 8 core model of today.

One thing to note: Everyone should watch "endgame" and especially obama's deception all available for free on youtube.

Wow I never knew about the bilderberg elitist that were running our country the last 60 years and those crooks.

I also never knew that IBM was created by eugenists to control human.

25. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think it depends on how long the wait actually is.

I mean if you wait a year or two for something to come out to buy that you could do just fine on the current machines, then I think your a fool.

But if you can wait 1-6 months for the 2x faster technology then you should.

But in this case its only a month away from WWDC and while it wont be introducing anything 2x faster than what the current line of Mac Pros already offer, a free speed bump is dramatic enough in my opinion. And 1 month is nothing.