Advice thread for replacement after 7 years?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Jun 8, 2017.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hello all;

Long time MacRumors member here. I still remember the days when I was researching for my current MBP, this forum was and always has been of great help. Now, after 7+ years I 'feel like' it is time change my Macbook Pro.

My story is I bought the 15" base 2010 Macbook Pro (i5 2.4Ghz) in April 2010. Around the end of 2012 I swapped the CD/DVD drive with an SSD and reading stuff I found online I did a fresh install of Mac OS X and using terminal converted it to a 'fusion drive' while doing that. I believe that has elongated my Macbook Pro's life very much as I am still using it 5+ hours every day (for work and personal use) Obviously it is slower now but nothing that makes a change immedeate so in theory I totally could continue using my computer.

I was intending to change it when last year's body refresh was coming along but then again 2016-17 Apple being Apple nothing about it excited me and it was very expensive so I didn't.

Now that 2017s are out nothing excites me again but I feel like a change is due after 7+ years of use. Yet I can't decide which one to go with besides knowing that I willl go 13" this time. My use;

- I run 3 websites. Not my source of income but a time consuming hobby.
    - I have a YouTube channel about EVs. So I use FCPX with a 2010 machine. Yet I'm no MKBHD so I don't do anything fancy. I shoot with iPhone 7 and occasionally an action cam. Editing isn't a breeze and gets the poor old MBP up to egg frying degrees sometimes but I get by. I intend to make my video game better though as the channel is growing.
    - I do spreadsheet heavy lifting for work.
    - Occasional Photoshop for some website image stuff although noting 'pro'

So I am clueless on which one I should get. We should factor in that I use devices for a long time and do some work besides browsing obviously. Over the past 7 years of 15" MBP ownership I have always envied the lightness and minor footprint of the 13" Macbook Air but I still believe I need a MBP for my needs.

Should I get the touchbar version? Touch ID interests me more than Touchbar actually.
    I feel like I should be getting 512GB version, 128GB sounds like a joke even my iPhone has that much. My current device has 320GB OG HDD + 120GB SSD = 540GB fusion drive. Even that is at its limit, wouldn't say no to more storage.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. I need the best price/performane 13" device for my needs and expectations.

2. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Get a high end touchbar 13 inch with 16GBof Ram and 1TB of space. Theyre not upgradable anymore so if you'll be using it for 5-7 years you'll for sure regret going with less space and RAM.

Note: only recommending 13 cause you said you wanted to step down to that size. The 15 inch with 16GB and 1TB is only $400 more and you gain way better graphics to help with video editing and a much better processor, and also a lot lighter than what you have now.

3. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm gonna have to check it at an Apple store but 15" just feels to heavy and it has too big of a footprint. Then again fully loaded 13 can be too much money for a 13 after all. Arrrggh so difficult making a decision.

Would the dedicated gfx of the 15" have great difference for my use? I would still think that Intel Iris of the 13 would be hell of a lot better than the 15" 2010 I have now with dedicated graphics.

Maybe I should just get an entry touchbar 13"? What am I losing if I do that, practically, not numbers and specs wise?

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Yes a dedicated chip will make a difference for rendering video.

Seeing as you plan to keep the same unit for 5-7 years getting the entry level is a mistake.

Just get the best ram and space money can buy cause you can't expand it later and the pros don't have an SD slot anymore either. Or you'll be stuck carrying around external dongles and such.

My advice is to bring your current one to the store and compare side by side. Try lifting them both. You'll see the difference, it's huge.