Advice to Beginner Photographer?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by I AM THE MAN, May 1, 2011.

1. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

First of all, I do apologize for starting a thread that might have been answered an innumerable amount of times, however, I really am looking to begin photography as a hobby and it would be GREAT to get some advice. I am willing to spend a little bit of money (max. $900).

My current equipment is a Nikon Coolpix L110 which I use for YouTube videos, and I use the Nikon for some photographs, etc. Additionally, I do have some experience with Photoshop, so some of my pictures come out alright (nothing too great).

Currently, Im thinking of purchasing a T2i Rebel (Canon) and from there on, Im going to start taking some photographs of any subject (around my house, etc). I have been taken photos for my families for around the last 3 years or so, and I think my photos come out alright, but I really want to improve.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

2. unclet macrumors member

I bought the Canon T2i about 5 months ago as my first DSLR, and would definitely recommend it for a beginner. It takes amazing pictures and has a lot of great features that allow for creativity. I think it's also a bit cheaper now than when I bought it because of the release of the T3i (which, as far as I understand is pretty much the exact same camera except for the addition of a swivel LCD screen and built in flash remote control, a great feature if you're going to be working with external flashes). As a fellow beginner, I would recommend you get the model with the 18-55mm kit lens, and perhaps the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. This is one of the cheapest lenses out there, and the wide aperture will give you a lot of possibilities to get creative with depth of field and do indoor work. This is especially good if you are planning on photographing people a lot.

However, before you jump on the T2i, go to a store and try out the feel of a Nikon in the same price range. You may find you like it better, and although fans on either side might tell you that Canon is far superior to Nikon or vice versa, the truth is that they are both excellent camera makers with excellent cameras and lenses, and you're best off choosing the one that feels right to you.

Good luck with the purchase. The one thing I can say is that I haven't regretted the investment in a DSLR for one minute. Photography is so much more fun now.

3. cube macrumors G5

Have you chosen the Canon because you like the body or have you compared the whole systems?

4. I AM THE MAN, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011

I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your reply.

I have heard it is a great camera.

5. Scuby macrumors regular

Before deciding on a camera try it first. I couldn't decide between Nikon or Canon, went to try them in a local shop, and afterwards knew that Canon was the only option for me - the equivalent Nikon just didn't feel right in my hand. Really does make a difference, and everyone is different.

Important thing with a DSLR is the lenses - you'll be limited with what you can do if you just stick with the kit lens (typically, it'll just be a lot faster to take a photo when you press the shutter button, but quality won't be much better than a decent compact). Something like the 50mm f/1.8 is a great way to start with a fast lens though, and between the kit lens and the 50mm that should give you enough to get started and then you can find out what photos you want to take, and hence which lenses would be best to spend more money on.

David

6. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

I know what you mean. For now though, I think I might as well just stick with my Nikon Coolpix L110, mainly because I don't think I can afford a DSLR at this exact moment. Would you think that is a good idea? Thanks for your reply.

7. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

If you don't have the funds at the moment for DSLR then absolutely wait until you do, otherwise you'll just wind up with something you don't really want and waste your money. Research cameras, make a list of features you want, go to stores and handle them, that is really the best thing you can do, you'll find one that just feels right in your hands and that will be the one, it may be a Canon or Nikon or whatever, but get your hands on them. Resale value is also something to consider, Nikon and Canon have the best resale value of the big brands and there is also a lot of used gear out there too. I have been photographing for over 20 years and I always buy my Nikon gear used, but that does mean don't have a warranty, so for you a warranty is important and buying new is likely the best bet for you.

8. bigfatdaddyo macrumors newbie

I am a avid photographer and just bought the T3i for my daughter to be her first camera, looked at all the canon and nikon options. No sense buying the T2i since its a year old, when buying technology, especially rebel cameras which are updated every year, it makes no sense to by last years model, its not worth the $100 saved. The back screen is very nice and the option to record short video bursts were enough to convince me to spend the extra money.

9. Gold89 macrumors 6502

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Anyone like the new Sony Translucent lens cameras? The A33 or A55? I played with one the other day at the Sony store and the thing is really friggin' fast!

11. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502