Advice to hide these cables?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AJ Muni, Aug 1, 2007.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Sup ya'll..I just mounted my tv on the wall, and I wanted to know if any of you have any advice on how I can possibly hide these cables. I went to both home depot and ace hardware, and what they both had didn't seem right. Sorry for the crappy pics, I couldn't find my camera, so I had to use photobooth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, perhaps you could get a wall-mounted cable tray that could be painted to match the wall? Otherwise, you could even take something like foam conduit for pipe ventilation, wrap it in that, and then paint *that*. I use the foam stuff for a big trunk line of cables going between the two loci in my setup... That kind of stuff is easy to find. You will find that Kwik-E-Mart is chock full of heady goodness. :)

Also start with some good cable-tying. :)

3. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Thanks, I'll look into those options. I know I got a bit lazy on the cable-tying. But I just mounted it like 20 minutes ago, so I'm leaving it like that until I find a solution.

4. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Or...you could build a shelf and mount the Wii and XBox behind the TV out of sight. :D

6. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Most of the time you'll see a cable run or track mounted to the wall, hiding the cables. Some are available in plastic and some are metal. I bought some plastic cable runs from Amazon, 8 ft lengths, with double-sided tape on the reverse side.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

My (practical) recommendation. Wal-mart might have them, but Home Depot or Lowes would probably be better.

Of course, this is really the only way to go. If your current location is permanent (or long-term) go for this option as it will look really classy.

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I had the cables from my wall-mounted TV's chased into the walls.

You could probably get away with a bit of trunking over them, though, and paint it the colour of the wall.