Advice to moving mac to mac

doofusjim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Hey.
Im about to get a macbook pro from my macbook, and once i reformatted my macbook and things got lost and i had to start from scratch a bit cause I didnt know how to do it properly.

Have you got any advice and things to look out for when I move everything on my mac to another one without too much inconvience?

Thanks

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
Migration Assistant is the easiest... I used it to go from my eMac to MacBook and it worked flawlessly.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
you need a Firewire cable, but you don't need to boot into target disk mode to use Migration Assistant... it's basically an application that walks you through the whole process. Very easy to do.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
to clarify, target disk mode just presents a computer's hard drive on another computer as an external drive. it and Migration Assistant are two different things.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Washington, DC
thanks heaps guys! Will try it out.
In fact, when you start setting up your new MacBook Pro, it will ASK you if you want to transfer your stuff from an existing Mac. Then it starts up the Migration Assistant right there and walks you through the whole process. Super easy.

A Cute Baby Lam

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
In fact, when you start setting up your new MacBook Pro, it will ASK you if you want to transfer your stuff from an existing Mac. Then it starts up the Migration Assistant right there and walks you through the whole process. Super easy.
This is what I did with my new MB and it was super simple.

tartsquid

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2006
Reston, VA
Perhaps it's because I was transferring from a G3 iMac, but I couldn't get Migration Assistant to work for me when I first got my Intel iMac. However, firewire target disk mode is always a great way to transfer things quickly and easily.