Advice to moving mac to mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doofusjim, Jul 29, 2007.

1. doofusjim macrumors newbie

Hey.
    Im about to get a macbook pro from my macbook, and once i reformatted my macbook and things got lost and i had to start from scratch a bit cause I didnt know how to do it properly.

Have you got any advice and things to look out for when I move everything on my mac to another one without too much inconvience?

Thanks

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You could use the Migration Assistant software that Apple ships on all Macs, it's in the utility folder.

You can connect both via a Firewire cable and boot your old Mac into Firewire target disk mode and transfer data that way.

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Migration Assistant is the easiest... I used it to go from my eMac to MacBook and it worked flawlessly.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

is booting one mac into target disk mode the only way to use migration assistant?

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pretty sure Firewire is the only way to use MA.

6. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

you need a Firewire cable, but you don't need to boot into target disk mode to use Migration Assistant... it's basically an application that walks you through the whole process. Very easy to do.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

to clarify, target disk mode just presents a computer's hard drive on another computer as an external drive. it and Migration Assistant are two different things.

8. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Two thumbs up for Migration Assistant, works wonderfully!

9. doofusjim thread starter macrumors newbie

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

In fact, when you start setting up your new MacBook Pro, it will ASK you if you want to transfer your stuff from an existing Mac. Then it starts up the Migration Assistant right there and walks you through the whole process. Super easy.

11. A Cute Baby Lam macrumors newbie

This is what I did with my new MB and it was super simple.

12. tartsquid macrumors regular

tartsquid

Perhaps it's because I was transferring from a G3 iMac, but I couldn't get Migration Assistant to work for me when I first got my Intel iMac. However, firewire target disk mode is always a great way to transfer things quickly and easily.