Advice: Unlocked Iphone vs. Ipod Touch + Normal Cell?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vader1990, Jan 15, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi,

I need some advice. I have two options.

1. Get an old used iphone from a friend for anywhere from $120-$200, have it unlocked or whatever; but I currently have Verizon which will expire in June, so I will have to get a new provider altogether--they say T-Mobile is the best for hacked iphone? So anyway, I have a get a new provider, pay for that, and finally have a hacked iphone what works on T-mobile.

2. Simple buy an 8GB or 16GB iTouch, which will probably run me $250 on ebay, and use my normal cell phone from Verizon alongside it. Isn't the ipod Touch essentially the SAME as the iphone WITHOUT the actually PHONE features? like the ipod features, and the all the web browsing, etc features?

I think I might have to pay more if I bother with the iphone? can you guys tell me which is more cost effective for me? Am I getting anything more for switching to T-mobile? Which is a better option?

Thanks!!

2. svndmvn Guest

the browsing is the same,except you have wi-fi only. with an iphone, be it edge or 3g, on T-Mo, all you get is edge, which is a bit slower but good on the go anyway. I say go for the iPhone. Get a data plan if you need it.

3. ineedamac macrumors 6502

I would wait until your contract is up and get an iPhone. One device that can handle all of the things an iTouch can do and more. One thing that separates them is the iPhone can browse on the 3G network while the iTouch needs a wifi. I know there are a ton of wifi spots out there...the problem is you have to take the time to connect to them versus just browsing away.

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

personally i really like my ipod touch 32gig/normal phone combo...it means that my ipod's battery last for ages, while my phone is reliable and i don't worry about breaking it.

This may all change as i start to use my touch as an organiser more, but only time will tell.

The iphone is most definitely not the best phone, nor the best ipod, but it is a fantastic combination of lots of different devices. If you are already tied into a contract though, why don't you wait untill june? there could even be a new model by then and you can switch carriers?