[ADVICE] Updating unlock and JB on 4.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by desiprince1212, Oct 10, 2010.

1. desiprince1212 macrumors member

Hey everyone!

I have a jailbroken my iPhone 4.0.1 using Jailbreakme.com and unlocked my baseband (01.59.00) using ultrasn0w.

NOW IF I update to 4.1 I will lose my jailbreak. BUT what about my unlock? Is that gone? forever?

Since limera1n came out recently, I can jailbreak it on 4.1 but CAN I unlock it with the updated baseband?

"DO NOT USE LIMERA1N IF YOU USE THE ULTRASN0W CARRIER UNLOCK — wait for PwnageTool to incorporate the limera1n exploit. This is so that you can avoid updating your baseband and losing the unlock (possibly forever)." - Dev Blog

If you want to preserve your unlock - do you jailbreak ONLY with PwnageTools? To create a custom .ipsw? What does that quote exactly mean? Sorry I am just a little bit confused.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

2. TehReaper macrumors regular

3. desiprince1212 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your help and reply.

But if that is possible why would the Dev-Team post that? Thank you

4. TehReaper macrumors regular

i dont know but i can tell you that my ip4 is jailbroken 4.1 and it has 1.59.00 baseband and it can be unlocked.

5. desiprince1212 thread starter macrumors member

ok.

how should I update it? best way. update through itunes - lose my jailbreak. RE-jailbreak using limera1n then follow those steps to unlock

or is there a better set of instructions you could advise? thank you sir

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

They are just saying if you just use limerain you will update your baseband and lose the unlock. If you have an ip4 you can use tu to bypass upgrading the baseband or wait for them to update their tools.

7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

You have to follow the tutorials to use tu to maintain your baseband while restoring to stock 4.1 then use limerain to jb and then you can unlock from there.

8. desiprince1212 thread starter macrumors member

Then how is it different from Dev-Team's blog? Should I wait or go for it?

9. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

10. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

And that is why the dev team says to wait to upgrade until they update their tools!

If you are already unlocked you are jailbroken so idk why you wouldn't just wait to update but I guess this method is here for those impatient ones. I'll personally wait a week for gamecenter to ensure I don't lose my unlock but to each their own.

11. yifanlu macrumors member

I'm on 4.1 and T-Mobile with ultrasn0w. Here's how:

1) Get TinyUmbrella (http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/)
    2) Save your SHSHs for 4.1 (in case you'll want to downgrade in the future)
    3) Click "Start TSS Server"
    4) To double check, either 1) ping gs.apple.com [you MUST get response from 127.0.0.1, if not, you WILL lose unlock] or 2) Go to "gs.apple.com" in your web browser. You should see a directory listing. If you get redirected to Apple, or the page doesn't load. you WILL lose unlock.
    5) Go to iTunes and click Restore (Do NOT click Update, it's not supported. 4.2 isn't supported either, so don't try)
    6) After restoring, you should get error 1003 or something. Then your phone should display the plug into itunes icon.
    7) In TU, click "Kick out of recovery"
    8) Your phone is now in 4.1, do whatever (sync, activate, etc)
    9) Use limera1n and install Cydia
    10) In cydia, look for ultrasn0w, and install it

12. desiprince1212 thread starter macrumors member

Gotcha.

I may even wait for GreenPoison instead..
    So basically, once you jailbreak + unlock.

and you update..
    you gotta make sure the jailbreak tool is compatible with an unlock? so stupid question what exactly PwnageTool, and how does Dev-Team play a role?

13. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Just did this just to check out everything. With the tss server running I get a response from 127.0.0.1, but when I put gs.apple.com into safari all I get is "safari cant find the server" So, will I be ok??

14. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

No but updating to new software sometimes apple includes a baseband update that blocks the unlock. If you upgrade to that fiware you lose your unlock unless you use a method like tinyumbrella or just update with custom ipsw that won't update your baseband. That's why the dev team says to wait

They are the creators of the unlock and of various jb tools.

15. yifanlu macrumors member

Hmm, I use Chrome, and I got directory listing, maybe safari is differnet. Double check by pinging again, make sure TU doesn't have any red error messages in the log, and make sure the green running text appears next to the start tss server button, and you should be good.

16. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Apparently it was safari. I tried it in firefox and I got the index you mentioned there. Thanks!

17. hlkc macrumors regular

I JB'ed my iP4 and got a lot of stuff and set it up the way I wanted. With that in mind, if I'm going to Limara1n now, will all the apps and most importantly what I set up before, will it be there after I Limera1n?

Also, where is the iTune 4.1 updating taking place? I have only 4.01 now and do I run the iTunes update wipe out all my JB before and doing the Limera1n? If so, where can I get the JB stuff I JB before?

18. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

App store apps contacts texts etc will be backed up via iTunes. Jb apps gotta redownload or pay for pkgbackup and it will restore them for you.

For instructions just search they have only been posted a million times. You have to upgrade to 4.1 (use tinyumbrella if you want to preserve baseband for unlock) then use limerain to jb.

19. hlkc macrumors regular

Yes, I do back up regularly using pkgbackup.

So Limera1n and after that using pkgbackup right? but where is the 4.1 taking place?

Thanks a million!

20. tawfiqmp macrumors member

tawfiqmp

Question since I'm a noob at upgrading jailbreaking stuff... I currently have the ios 4.0 jailbreak using jailbreakme on my iphone, if I upgrade to this limera1n ios 4.1 jailbreak, will it erase all of my jailbroken apps, current apps, and all the jailbroken settings/things that I downloaded?

21. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

Yes, all jb apps and settings will be gone. I have heard mixed reviews of "pkgbackup", but it supposedly allows you to easily restore all of your jb apps/tweaks.

22. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I don't understand your question. Upgrade to 4.1 if you need to unlock you have to use tu to keep baseband then just use limerain to jb and pkgbackup to restore cydia apps