Advice using Backgrounder on 2G Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Xanders92, May 16, 2010.

1. Xanders92 macrumors newbie

I have been considering installing backgrounder on my 3.1.2 32GB 2nd Gen Touch. My problem is that I don't know how badly it will slow my iPod down- I very rarely have 60MB+ free RAM, usually around 30MB, and I already suffer from some noticeable yet bearable lag. I am currently using winterboard, but do aim to move away from it once I have time to sort out my icons, and I'm not even sure if this would speed it up at all. I like the look of proswitcher, but I know it specifically causes lag.

There must be people who have tried this, but if it's a bad idea with winterboard I could uninstall it, or maybe I'll just wait until OS4 and the inevitable hack to bring multitasking to my device (which would be less resource heavy, yet not still 'fully multitasking').

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

2. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

well i use backgrounder on my ipod touch 2g and i have found that without winterboard i can successfully background one application and use another one that is non resource heavy without problems but trying to open two games or the like doesn't work. Because of the ram shortage in this device advanced backgrounding of apps just isn't going to happen.

3. Xanders92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have just given it a go, having seen a friend using it. I am still with winterboard, and havent noticed any more lag, even with proswitcher :) I didnt realise that it automatically kills some backgrounded apps when the ram gets too low. Thanks for your advice, it seems a great add-on

4. Xanders92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to double post, but, out of interest, without winterboard, or any apps running, what is the max ram you have acheived? I have got 62mb once! I am still debating whether it is worth uninstalling it to boost performance.

5. mrhappyface2010 macrumors newbie

mrhappyface2010

I can run winterboard and Cydia and Siphon and 4 other intensive games before my ipod touch 2g lags!

oh and SBSettings and make it mine